New
Find
Notify
Tools

Buck Kalinga
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello, I have a fiew question's about the Buck Kalinga. I am looking for one that has a carbon steel blade. I have seen a couple with stainless blades. I have always had better luck with keeping a edge on carbon steel. I have never owned a Buck Kalinga and would love to try one. I know there is a model that's like the Kalinga that is smaller. Akonua? maybe my spelling has a lot to be desired sometimes. I would also like to know about model numbers and how to determine how old one is when I am looking at it. Any help would be greatley appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Max

While I prefer a Norton Inda oil stone,
I have found that a diamond stone will put a good edge on a stainless knife.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright, thank you very much. I will keep that in mind. I have never owned a diamond stone. Old habit's die hard ya know. I will try one if I end up buying a stainless kalinga. I have always used a carbon steel blade, and old ways of sharpening them. Again, Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
nagles gun shop in san antonio,tx has at least onein their used case ask for robin.. the are on line.. also saw a new model with the same blade style and nicer handle material in new catalog.. have always wanted one to add to collection.. and only find them when im broke...

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Several of these things currently on ebay for sale. One in particular I found interesting is the BUCK CHIP FLINT KALINGA LIMITED EDITION - anyone know anything more about this knife than what is posted? What would be a 'reasonable' offer to see if you could meet his reserve?

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Here's what Buck says about their knife:

http://www.buckknives.com/catalog/detail/530/235

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$280 is a ridiculously high price to pay for a knife with 420 stainless. You could buy a Chris Reeves knife with far superior steel for the same price and have $30 left over to buy a combination waterstone that will sharpen any stainless knife you have.
There are lots of other good knives you can buy for a lot less money. Many for under $100, tons for under $200...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll probably get flamed here, but for
me the HC in 420HC always meant, Highpriced Crap!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote