Tools

Show me what you use
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
We are all knife men, it just depends upon where you want to draw the line on quality equipment. Is the gun, the boots? Using the knife is the beginning of the work, why not make it go easier with a quality knife from a custom maker?

Jerry (and Mike and all the other custom makers), I'd be interested in seeing pics of the knives you keep for your personal use.
Thanks,
Forrest

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought this in a the parking lot of a secret knife show and was told it was Jerry's EDC knife. He found it easy to sharpen with a 4 inch grinder or dremel.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other side which shows some one off work.

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
ForrestB:

I tried a lot. I love great handmade stuff, with its beauty and soul and also I love high-tech materials, CNC no compromise accuracy etc.

But when it comes to knives:

In my pocket, there was for years Wenger hunter swiss knife, with bone/wood saw, corkscrew etc. But it doesn't hold sharp edge well, especially with boars. A was looking for folder for reasonable price with high end steel. So I taken Spyderco Endura with ZDP-189 blade. But it is a little too much brittle and I don't know why, it looses edge just by time. You can make it scary sharp, put somewhere for few months and if you take it, it doesn't shave anymore. Event it is stainless, it is not resistant to pitting and corrosion is maybe reason to loosing scary sharpness.

Later, I discovered CPM-3V knives, especially Bark River. Great knife, but with leather sheath. If the knife will be dirty by blood or something like this and you will put the knife into the sheath in the fields or woods, you will not be able to clean that sheath at all in the future.

After many years of trial and error, I found what I need:

CMP-3V or similar steel (not so easy to rust, even more resistant than ZDP-189), very tough, holding edge well, not loosing edge in time for no reason, reasonable easy to make scary sharp and with combination with cleanable or "disinfectable" sheath.

The winner is Bradford Guardian 6. I still hold Spyderco Endura ZDP-189 in my pocket, but in my EDC bag, there is Bradford Guardian. Of course, I would like to have Bradford Guardian made with more sense for finish (like with high end hand made knives), but I can live with it.

Top: Bradford Guardian 6, bottom: Eickhorn GEK 2000 (K110 steel - german D2) I have sold

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forest, I will be back home in a day or two where I am around photos. Will post and explain then

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, I'm glad you find our steel [CPM-3V made here in NY State ! ] so good. More and more custom and production knives are using it .Survive!Knives have a new HT which optimizes the properties .A diamond sharpener makes that job easy .Kydex or similar material is what you need for the sheath. Complaints of Kydex scratching knives or handguns comes mostly from not cleaning the material.
For me CPM-3V and CPM-S35VN is all I need!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had probably fifty high end knives from top end makers; pretty much every steel from elmax, cpm 154 to s30v. I have had forged knives and stock removal.

Then I bought a Dozier in D2. I found it so believable I bought my son a Dozier. I don't know what he does, but the two i have are the finest edges that I've ever seen on a knife. Both knives were used on two elk last fall. I did a little touch up after, but don't know how they will hold up to extensive use without resharpening

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Forrest;
Sent you a reply from Atlanta; but like me it got lost.
Will get you a pic.
Mike

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
btt

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Two years of everyday carry. Horizontal knock together sheath. 2 3/4" blade of 8670M. Does everything I need but clearing brush. New ones are prettier!!
mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Here's what I've been using for the last fifty years.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
diggin' on the Ruanas.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Ray; Neat old knives; much like.

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
diggin' on the Ruanas.

ya!

GWB

AND the gerber!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote