Notify
Tools

Doug Noren Scagel Camp knife TEST
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted
Gentlemen

Remember the chop test with the Busse HOFSH LE and The Cold Steel Trail Master?
Well the time has come to test a Large Scagel Camp knife made by MS Doug Noren.
The knife did not come with a very good edge so I had to sharpen it on my huge Translucent Arkansas stone ahhhh that felt good. nothing like breaking in a new knife.

The knife:

Blade convex forged O1 steel 23,5 cm (9.25")
Overall 38 cm (14.96")
Stock is 9 mm thick (.355") Eeker
Weight 730 gr. Big Grin

After sharpening the knife for about 10 min the knife was able to shave hair.

The sun was shining true the tree tops and the shade from the big pine trees made it a beautiful day for testing the Doug Noren Scagel Camp knife.
I found a small pine tree same size as was used in the Busse HOFSH LE and Cold Steel Trail Master test. First task was removal of the branches on the tree.

The knife felt a bit heavy but the convex blade slided smoothly along the tree and removed the side branches perfectly. I rate the knife 8 in this task on the 1-10 scale .

Next job up for evaluation was the chopping with a comfortable pace and use of force. This was to see how the knife handled under normal working conditions. The knife has a balance point about where you see the Scagel stamp on the right side of the "Noren" stamp on the blade. The best place of impact was a bit forward of the middle of the blade. Chopping was very precise and handling the large knife was easy. This was a bit of a surprise to me. The weight of the knife, 730 gr, made it very effortless to chop.

Now it was time for the POWER stroke chopping test!!! And trust me I was not planning to hold back here!

The two first cuts was deep and the convex forged blade did not stick.

After 15 strokes the knife was nearly half true.

After only 36 strokes the tree was cut in half WOW this was about 10 strokes better then both the Busse HOFSH and the Trailmaster. The knife took huge chunks of every time it hit.
It tried again and the tree was cut in 30 strokes this time. Please take into account that the tree got thinner for the second cut.

After this it was time for a beer, when testing an old school knife like a Scagel what better beer then a Weltburger Kloster beer, the oldest monastery brewery in the world Anno 1050 aaaaaahhhhhhhh.

After this I made a small BBQ spear to see how the big knife handled smaller tasks. The huge knife had no problems doing this job but a folder with a thinner blade would have done the job easier.

The blade did to get any deformations or nicks and I will re-sharpen it later today so that I will get that wicked sharp edge it had before the test.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Nice report Andrè, a Dane and his knife and a cold beer,thats the Danish spirit !!

How much did the knife cost and it looks very fine and durable for very much work perhaps for wild boar in argentina aswell it would be fine for.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for another great report and the pictures as well.

I need to get a nice stone and finish the edge on some of my knives -- I am lazy and prefer the ceramic rods!

Off topic -- I was watching Bram Stoker's Dracula the other night, one I had avoided until recently, and they did some nice work with the Kukri in it.

Off topic even more -- are you familiar with Warren Zevon? I was listening to his Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner the other day and you came to mind for some reason:

Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight Sun
With a Thompson gun for hire, fighting to be done
The deal was made in Denmark on a dark and stormy day
So he set out for Biafra to join the bloody fray...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Andre! beerYou could live off the land with a blade like that,ever see the movie... The Edge or Rambo.Your camp knife Rocks!
thumbWould be perfect for quartering large game,Self defence,I like it! jumping

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words.

Rigby the knife is in the +$1000 range Eeker but then again so is my car Big Grin
I will bring that knife to Argentina next time - trust me. Great stabber to.

Charles

I also use the rods if they can do the job but sometimes stones are needed.

Blackbearhunter

I like to camp out in the forest and having a good knife is important to me. Rambo rules, is the edge the movie with Hopkins?

Cheers,

André

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Andre,yes The Edge has Hopkins & the big brown Bear!Awsome survival movie!You did a great test on the knife,I bet it will chop bone!
Do you get the BLADE Magazine?Has lots of chop/test on knives from time to time.Scagels & Randalls are my favorites!I did a test on a Buck Ranger Folder one time and butchered/field dressed 5 bucks before it needed a edge,I was impressed for sure.Good Luck with you new Blade and enjoy!Its a looker! salute

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Well done test & report Andre! Although you left a crucial part out of the Dane, Knives & beer equation WOMEN! Next time we want Wiking babes too. Big Grin

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I force my wife to handle all my new knives and coment on them.....Se playes along most of the time Big Grin I do not know if she will pose with one of them!!! Maybe!!!!

Cheers,

André

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andre. But you've added a variable to the test -how much faster do you cut when you want to get to the beer quicker ?? Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lets just say I was in a rush to get the test done. The cold Beer was nice under the shade of the trees.

Cheers, beer

André

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No but she is 1st runner up Big Grin

Cheers,

André

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ijust finished guiding an italian guide from the Piamonte region ,they too hunt wild boar in the mountains and there are several breeders of dogos in italy some of them hunt with knife .He like exterma ratio knives.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote