Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
How about this for handle material! thumb

SAPELE

Scientific name: Entundophragma cylindricum
Origin: Central Africa and Ivory Coast
Grain: heartwood is a medium to fairly dark reddish brown to purpleish brown; sapwood whitish or pale yellow
Properties: Moderately heavy, dense, and hard

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice !! There are some very beautiful woods out there.Last year I had one made with maple burl ,but it was stabilized [impregnated with acrylic] so no finish is necessary and I don't have to worry about getting it wet .

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
D Humbarger, having used sapele quite a lot when I was building schools and veterinary clinics in the Central African Republic, be aware that it can be dimensionnally unstable. It warps and twists incredibly with a rise and/or fall in relative humidity and should be thoroughly kiln dried and let for awhile before doing anything requiring close tolerances. It can't be used for musical instruments (to my knowledge) because of this.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
The "boss" from the Greenland bison is also a nice handle material.
This knife is made by my friend a danish knife maker.

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Damn that is some beautiful stuff Jeffery & awesome file work too! Thanks for the info Wink. I appreciate it.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
Jeff that knife is georgeous. How much would that one cost?

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffrey, do you mean bison or musk ox ? I didn't think there were bison in Greenland.Whatever it is it's beautiful !!

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Mete

Sorry You are right musk ox and not bison.

Ben589
My friend made this knife for himself, but will make you one. He made tree blades in this style. One blade blank is still available. The other one is for me. For comparison is my Lile misfit fighter with a 6" blade.

Cheers,

André

This is another one of his knives with mammoth ivory this knife is for sale.

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Very nice pieces . . . that wood looks amazing.

But look also at common birch tuber :

So common and so nice . . .

Jiri

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote