New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polishing A Blade
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Firstly, I apologise for what might seem a naive question but . . . .

I'ne got a large bladed knife that I scratched the surface of on one side of the blade. How do I go about polishing the scratch out and what I should I use. Can I use a copy of a 'Dremmel' tool with a round felt type insert or what's the best way?

THanks,

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do not use a Dremel tool ! How deep are the scratches ? You might have to go through a series of finer and finer abrasive papers .Knife makers use a 2" wide abrasive belt . You might be able to do it by hand too.

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
What is the finish of your blade like? Satin? I do some blades by hand and some on a machine.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Just a warning that the typical buffing wheel spun by a buffer is well and goodly considered the most dangerous tool in the knifemakers shop.

Not only is polishing the most dangerous job, it is also the most difficult to do well. A dremel will create a wavy pattern as the felt bobs are too small.

I'd pay a knifemaker to have the blade repolished. It will cost less than the proper tools for a one off job, and the job will be done better than you can for your first attempt.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd pay a knifemaker to have the blade repolished. It will cost less than the proper tools for a one off job, and the job will be done better than you can for your first attempt.

Thanks to everyone for the advice; it's all good. As the knife is part of a very small collection, I think I will suss out a knifemaker and have the job done professionally.

Thanks once again and best regards to evryone.

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote