Find
Notify
Tools

Ontatio Knife Company
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello the Campfire
Does anyone know anything about this company? I have heardof them, but have never had any blades from them. A friend spent very little and bought a bunch of "Survivle Knives" and gave one to me. I am having a hard time putting a decent edge on it. The knife itself is heaver than I would want to carry on my belt, but for a rough camp knife it would be OK. If I can not get an edge on it enough to make it useable though it will end upp in the junk tool drawer. The steel does not seem too hard, but will not begin to sharpen even with a dimond stone. My next step is to take a file to it and change the edge angle. If it did not have a nice leather washer grip, I might strip it down and try to re-heat treat it. OH well something else to work on.
Judge Sharpe

Is it safe to let for a 58 year old man run around in the woods unsupervised with a high powered rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of kitchen knives from Ontario Knife Co. that I like very much. They are high carbon steel but sharpen well and hold an edge OK. But I do not think they would be at home in the field.

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Ontario Knife Co has several large military contracts and provides our soldiers with gov't provided cutlery. Schatt & Morgan and Queen Cutlery are two of their companies. I have a Queen stockman folder. It is very difficult to place an edge on due to the the steel. Most of the Queen knives have D2 steel blades. D2 is a tough steel and is very hard to get an edge on it if you are not using the best sharpners. I use diamond hones and thus far seems to be the best method for sharpening those hard alloy steels. Good luck!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it did not have a nice leather washer grip, I might strip it down and try to re-heat treat it.

I don't think you'll have "re- heat" them. I don't believe they were annealed or tempered in the first place Roll Eyes. I've got a bunch of them. Use em for cutting batt fibreglass insulation and working moose hides. Not much good for anything other than the rough work you wouldn't use a good knife on.

Arctic Gun

Posts: 91 | Location: North of sixty | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote