Find
Notify
Tools

222 Remington 700BDL loads????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good day
I have a 222 Remington 700BDL with a heavy barrel that I can't seeem to get a good load for.
Any good loads from anyone would be appreciated.
The best I've been able to do is 1 1/4. I had an old 788 that almost needed a pry bar to make it go off (that's the reason it's gone) that would shoot 1/2 inch no problem if I did my part. The only thing I havn't changed is the primers. I've used H322, IMR3031(my old 788 favourate) H335 and now I've just tried a millitary surplus powder with same results. Most of the loads all group 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 consistently.
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem with mine, until I stumbled upon Bruno bullets BrunoShootersSupply . I had tried Noslers, Sierras, Hornady, etc., with no luck. I had a box of Bruno 52 grain flat base bullets lying around and decide to give them a try. My first five shot group was a little under a half inch. My 700 loves them, but they are a bit more expensive.

[ 02-20-2003, 16:15: Message edited by: crowrifle ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikehjd:
Good day
I have a 222 Remington 700BDL with a heavy barrel that I can't seeem to get a good load for.
Any good loads from anyone would be appreciated.
The best I've been able to do is 1 1/4. I had an old 788 that almost needed a pry bar to make it go off (that's the reason it's gone) that would shoot 1/2 inch no problem if I did my part. The only thing I havn't changed is the primers. I've used H322, IMR3031(my old 788 favourate) H335 and now I've just tried a millitary surplus powder with same results. Most of the loads all group 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 consistently.
Mike

IIRC a popular benchrest load for the 222 was 21.1 gr. of RL-7 and a 52 gr. match bullet. I don't own a 222, but a fellow shooter swore by the load.

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Dale>
posted
I wore out my first .222 barrel and am on the second one. My favorite load is 25.0 gr. BL-C(2), Rem. brass, Rem. 7-1/2 primer, and either a 50 gr. Sierra semi-spitzer or 50 gr. Rem. HP. The Sierra semi-spitzer is very explosive on varmints at .222 velocities. The Rem. bullet shoots well but doesn't open quite as quick. I have not been able to get very good accuracy in my rifles with the Rem. PSP bullets.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replys
To this date I still havn't been able to get this gun to shoot consistently under"
I'm going to get it recrowned and if it still doesn't shoot??? I've run out of ideas. Maybe a rechamber??
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700 Classic that shoots Remington 50 grain Powerlokt Hps like a dream. One holers or perfect little clover leafs all the time. Took a lot of experimenting to get a handload that would come close, much to my frustration. I settled on a 50 grain Ballstic Tip with 20.4 grains of IMR-4198, shoots a half inch but still not as god as the Powerlokts, I got some to load my own with the other day, we'll soon see what happens.

Posts: 59 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
<.280 Sweden>
posted
Hi,
My .222 Remington BDL Sporter love the 53grs MatchKing with 20grs of Norma 200. Five shoots under a half inch. Now I will try to get it shoot this good with hunting loads.........

.280 Remington Sweden

one of us
Picture of oneills
posted Hide Post
Try 25 grains of win748 behind Hornady 53gr HP and a CCI magnum primer.

Posts: 73 | Location: Vic, Australia | Registered: 19 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no reason you shouldn't be able to find a load for that rifle. It sounds like you've tried many bullet/powder combos. Have you tried different primers yet (including magnum)? They sometimes can make all the difference.
I would definately try this before considering a re-chamber or recrown.
Good luck

MDH

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only deuce load worth a poop is 20g. IMR 4198 w/50g. bullets. Clocks 3280fps out of my 722, 1/2 MOA too, with a sporter bbl. [Big Grin]

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Thunderstick>
posted
I have had good luck with H322 (max charge),
F-210M primers/Rem 7 1/2 BR, and the 50 grain Ballistic tip. The key to obtaining the best accuracy is finding the best seating depth of the bullet, as well as the best powder charge.

posted Hide Post
My best load so far is 23.0g H4895 behind a 45g Sierra Hornet, W-W brass, Fed 205 Primer. 0.6" group @100yards.

Posts: 22 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 05 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

What does the inside of your barrel look like? How is your bedding? Is the barrel free floated? If so, are you sure it's not touching somewhere? This is usually an easy rifle to get to shoot well. I have a suspicion your problem is not your load. The best overall powder is probably IMR4198. Bullets are no problem. It'll shoot Nosler 50 and 55gr. well and the Sierra 52gr. HPBT is superb. Hope you solve it, but don't give up on this rifle. It's a winner. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
<fishnfool>
posted
My M700 BDL HB .222 Rem. prefers 25.0 grs. BLC-2, Win. brass, Fed. Gold Medal primer, and a 52 gr. Sierra BTHP. It will shoot 5 shot groups in the low 5s consistantly. I thought my barrel was shot out at first, but all mine needed was good action bedding and free floating in a new VLS stock and she came around.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 22.5gr of 3031,53gr Speer bullets,in my Rem 700.My best group was .345,did you try giving the bore a good scrubing?

Posts: 255 | Location: Wurtsboro,NY.USA | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a 700 BDL Varmint, pillar bedded with a Jewell trigger. I constantly get in the 3,s with a best of .188. My load is 25 grains of IMR 4895 with a Sierra 52 grain HPBT.
I tried 4198 and BLC. BLC shoots better than 4198, but not as good as 4895. Also using CCI Bench Rest primers, have a Leupold 24x BR scope on it.
Mike

Posts: 1 | Location: Casper, Wy | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
52 grain bullet.
You need to check Bal-C 2 and IMR 4198 to see which is applicable to which.
When you find out which is which try:
19.5 grains
22.5 grains

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
My Old 700 Varmit Master loves Hornady's 50g SX, 20.0g of IMR 4198, CCI BR-2 Primers in Federal Match Brass. I get groups as small as .55" when I do my part. But like any gun don't expect my load to be #1 in yours. The fun is finding the one your gun likes. Get a good manuel and have at it!

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote