New
Find
Notify
Tools

how old is to old for powder??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i've got about 20 different kinds of powder got out of reloading a couple years ago but thinking of starting up again.(can't afford to shoot factory ammo on a regular basis)about half of the powders haven't been opened and all are about two years old,they've been in dry storage,i hate to throw out several hundred dollars in powder but it may not be worth taking a chance.any input would help. thanks

One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
Hi there
your powder should be fine. If stored correctly it's shelf life should be 10 -15 years or more . We still regulary shoot 8 mil military surplus ammo that was manufactured in the 1950s in Yugoslavia and Turkey.
cheer's
Pete

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Hi there
your powder should be fine. If stored correctly it's shelf life should be 10 -15 years or more . We still regulary shoot 8 mil military surplus ammo that was manufactured in the 1950s in Yugoslavia and Turkey.cheer's Pete

I will add to what Pete said: stored in a cool, dry place in airtight containers, such as unopened powder cannisters, the life of smokeless powder is "indefinite". I have fired G.I. .45 ACP ball ammo headstamped FA 18, meaning Frankford Arsenal made in 1918. It was still up to specs, giving 820 FPS MV.

If your powder smells like ether, is shiny, pours easily, and has no orange or reddish dust in it, it is OK, even if it was made in 1918!!