Find
Notify
Tools

Your favorite .204 Ruger powder
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted
I have some BL-C2, Varget & H4895, among others but have just begun to look at some load development ideas.

I'll be shooting 39 gr. Sierra & 40 gr. VMAX mostly so if you have done some work and would like to share it with others, I would appreciate your input.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Lyle:
I have some BL-C2, Varget & H4895, among others but have just begun to look at some load development ideas.

I'll be shooting 39 gr. Sierra & 40 gr. VMAX mostly so if you have done some work and would like to share it with others, I would appreciate your input.

Cliff
I have 2 of these great shooting rifles. One is an HS and I load 40gr Nosler Btips with 27gr of Varget, shoots great. My other rifle is a CZ varmint and it shoots the 32gr Vmax with 28gr of Win 748. Not exactly what you are looking for, but I did try the 39gr bullets in the CZ and my accuracy wasn't worth talking about. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
FS,
That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two 204's, a Ruger #1 and a CZ 527. With 40gr Vmax's, 4895 works well in the #1 and R-10 works great in the CZ. Go figure.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you listed are great for the .204 w/39-40 grain bullets.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Recipe from another AR poster:

From my own standpoint, if I wanted to shoot the 32 grain Hornadys or Sierras, BLC-2 would be a definite finalist in the choice of powders. My loading data has a starting point of 30.4 grains, 32 Hornady Vmax, Federal 205 Match primer, COL of 2.355 up to 31.5 grains of BLC-2. Best accuracy and acceptable pressure levels were found with a load of:

30.7 grains of BLC-2

Federal 205 Match primer

C.O.L. of 2.391

Velocity=4100+

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36646 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had best accuracy with 40 gr. bullets from Noslers. My load is Hornady brass, 28.6gr. of blc-2, fed 205m primers. 5 shot groups in good conditions normally run around 1/4" at 100yds. with some in the high ones. Velocity runs in the low 3700's. I need to upgrade my dies from the RCBS that I currently use, but don't want to spend any more on it right now. The rifle is a blue printed Rem 700, glass bedded with Shilen trigger and 26" Shilen barrel, with a 6-20 Leupold.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning and my buddy has a Cooper. Mine will consistently shoot < 3/8 groups and my buddys will shoot one hole groups with Varget: Mine 28.1 gr and his with 28.2 grains. We both shoot the Berger 40 gr, Fed Match primers, and Remington brass. And 1/10 of powder makes a difference in the 204. Oh yeah they both are different OALs. Gotta love the .204.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1368 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cliff, I sent the data to you but for the rest of the world, Accurate 2230 and Accurate 2520 are THE POWDERS OF CHOICE for the 204! Accurate 2230
32 grain bullets(Sierra or Hornady) 28.0-28.3 grains, my choice of primers is Federal Match 205's and the COL will be whatever you can load it to.........I'm at 2.398. Velocity will be in the 4200fps area in the 26" barrels and accuracy will be SPLENDID!! Now to the FIRST CHOICE of the two powders.....Accurate 2520 and the 32 grain bullets will perform at 28.5-28.8 grains with the 28.8 grain loading to exhibit very inherent accuracy and velocity to render varmints in far off locations DRT!!(Dead Right There) and you can watch the bullet hit! But for the utmost in accuracy and substantial velocity(3800 fps) use 27.5 grains of Accurate 2520 and the 39 grain Sierra BlitzKings!! You won't be disappointed! Do not waste time or money on the 40 grain Hornady VMax!! It won't work in 96 out of 100 rifles and I'll bet you don't own one of the 4 out of 100 it will work in!! Second choice of powders for the 204 would be a toss up between H4895 and BL-C2 but for now there is no question ..........ACCURATE 2520 for the 204! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the information sent. Smiler