Find
Notify
Tools

need some favorite 470 NE loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
working up some loads pre selouss=, could use a little input.kld

Posts: 179 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rigby350
posted Hide Post
I have had very good success with the following load in my 470 NE.

Hornady case, federal magnum primers, with 94gr of AR2209 (Which I believe is H4350)and a Kynoch filler, using Woodleigh 500gr softs and solids.

The chronographed velocities averaged out at around 2145 for the softs and 2153 for the solids.

Posts: 119 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest that you post this on the Double Rifle forum (above).
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Federal uses Reloder 15 with 500 grain slugs. They also use Federal 216 primers unavailable to us. we can use standard large rifle magnum primers and case fillers. Crimping will help ignition consistancy. Annealing the brass everytime you use it will extend case life and maintain consistant pressures.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, how much rl 15?

Posts: 179 | Location: northern Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Get the book, "Shooting the British Double Rifle" by Gaheme Wright. It's got loads and much much more!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know what double you have. Butch Searcy recommended 87 gr of RL-15 w 5 gr of Dacron and a 500 gr Woodleigh using Fed 215 primers. He asked for my serial number before he recommended loadings.

The Wright book is excellent.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I agree on getting Graeme's book.

My vintage 470 prefers 98-102 grs of IMR 4831 with Woodleigh softs, a couple grs less with the solids. There is substantial differences with IMR 4831 between different lots of this powder.

If you get a different lot you'll need to work up the load again.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My double is a Ferlach made in 1958 by a Johann Mickelitsch, it handles Hornady commercial loads just fine, accuracy is acceptable but handloads generally are better, we use dacron fillers made by Kynoch, still looking for a load, it appears 105H4831SC is pretty good but velocity not great...kld

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a new to me Searcy .470 and when I called him He recommended 106 grains of IMR4831 with a 500 gr Woodleigh. That is what he told me that he regulates all of his .470's with.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote