New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 Whelen
 Login/Join

<BigBores>
posted
Thinking of building a 35 Whelen for a timber elk gun. Lets see some favorite loads to help me make up my mind.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Mine is the acley improved variant, so the std chamber would have reduced charges and velocities. It was made with a midway barrel, left at 24".

Common to the loads are an RP case, fireformed, Federal 210 primer, and seated .020" off the lands.

Hornady 250 gr spitzer, 60 gr RL 15 2680 fps, 62 gr VV N550 2600 fps.

Swift 250 gr a-frame 62 gr VV N550 2700 fps.

Varget is reported to work as well as RL 15, with ~ the same velocity, though my initial limited testing was inconclusive. I have some 250 gr speers, and some 225 sierras, but haven't had a chance to work up a load with them.

In hindsight I wish I'd spent a little more $ for a pac nor barrel, as the midway fowls easily, and while suitably accurate, 1 - 1 1/2 moa for 3 shots, is very picky as to what loads it shoots, vary by 1/2-1 gr and the groups open up to 3-5 moa.

If I were to set it up for mostly close range shots, I'd consider a 275 gr @ 2400 fps. I wouldn't mind downloading mine with 250's at 2400, but it won't group at that level.

You won't be disapointed, and if you decide to shoot cast bullets, will have a blast!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<BigBores>
posted
Paul,

I was also wanting to try a Midway barrel. Maybe not for the 35 whelen necessarily, but on something soon, just to give them a chance. I greatly fear tripping over another thread on this, but have you hand lapped it? My gunsmith has used some Midway barrels in the past and said they weren't bad if lapped. I admit I was attracted by the price, and was hoping for under 2" at 100yds, but this would only be a close range gun. 3-5 inch groups don't excite me much though. I was going to have it built on the Turk action, and was only looking for function, not interested in looks. Sure hate to have to put a premium douglas on a knock and tumble guide rifle.

I was thinking of staying with standard Whelen chamber and hoping for 250gr'rs at 2500-2600 fps (20-22" bbl). The cast 275'rs do sound interesting as well. Hmmm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BigBores,

I had a Rem 700 for a little while in 35 Whelen. Can't remember exact loads but as near as I remember I was up around 58 grains of Varget with 250s for over 2500.

Basically, I found that my loads gave about the same velocities as Winchester Power Point 338 factory ammo gave in 200s and 225s.

If I was not knee deep in 375 cases and rifles and not "tied up" by the 375, I think I would choose the 35 Whelen as my everyday and everthing rifle.

Since I had that rifle and also 3 separate barrels in 358 STA (all 1 in 14 with .357 groove diameter)several shooters out here that I know have had 35 Whelens made with the same 1 in 14 and .357 groove diameter, match grade barrels. All of them shoot ragged hole groups.

Even in the 358 STAs, I was getting consistent 1 inch groups with the Hornady 180 XTPS at just under 3000 f/s.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mark C. Kimmell>
posted
I have a T/C Encore handgun with a 15" 35 Whelen. I load a Hornady 250gr. round nose with 49.0grs. of IMR 3031 and a Fed. Gold Match large rifle primer and Rem. cases. I get 2100fps. and 5-shots in one ragged hole off the bench with a Leopold 2x scope. Shot a cow elk with it 3yrs. ago at 80yds. She went down like a freight train hit her. Mark

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Bigbore,

No, I haven't lapped the barrel. I'm debating doing it, but I'd have to slightly shorten the barrel, as the bore bells when you lap it, and I don't want the barrel any shorter. I'll probably just live with the fouling, or give it a real thorough cleaning once in awhile. Actually it isn't that rough, I can put a couple boxes through it, and the groups don't open up, it just takes a bit of work to get the copper streaks off the lands.

As far as the accuracy, everyone I know, myself included, has been able to work up an moa load in the A&B barrels. My prefferred loads put 3 into 1 to 1 1/2" at 100 yds, and thats with the military trigger and a 2.5x scope.

That said, the barrels used to be $70, and at that price were a good deal, but now that they are $100, I'd rather pay $130 and get a Pac Nor. When you factor in the cost of re-barreling, spending a couple bucks more for a good tube is a sound investment.

I forgot to add that I like shooting cast bullets out of mine, most have been 200 gr LBT's at 800-1500 fps. I plan on getting another mold to make some 230 and 280 gr bullets.

<BigBores>
posted
Paul,

?! Pacnor barrels for $130! I must be dumber than a box of rocks. I just had my gunsmith order a douglas premium for $220! The Pacnor website shows contoured blanks for $170. Are you buying these out of the trunk of a Caddy? (If so I want in on it!).

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I must have brain farted, don't know why I had $130 on my mind. Still, considering what one puts into a customized gun, I'd say spend the extra $ for a good barrel. I've done it on the cheap once, but don't plan to do it again. Actually, it was on the ultra cheap, the barrel was $70, and a friend of a friend chambered it for $35. I'm actually debating selling the rifle and having another one built, but with a 25" pac nor in a slightly lighter contour.