Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 280 Rem. Loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
3584ELK-

I shot you an e-mail to get your 280 loads...I am currently working up some loads for my custom mauser, as I am going after antelope and mule deer this fall. Any load data that you have developed for this wonderful caliber would be greatly appreciated.

I've been experimenting with IMR-4350 and Winchester 760 lately, with a 139 grain Hornady SST. I have been amazed at the difference in powder charges between all of my manuals (Ken Waters Pet Loads, Nolser, Sierra, IMR, and NRA Handloading....). In particular, Nosler notes 52.5 grains of 4350 as max, while Pet Loads has 55 grains of 4350 using a magnum primer! That's quite a diffence. I haven't shot the max loads yet, as I'm working my way up....

Thanks.

Jasper243
bkmk@freeway.net

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
Jasper, I will send the file to you from my work email, since thats where I am right now. There are comments in the right column as to what hunting results I had with certain loads, so I hope it proves helpful.

Posts: 593 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elk-
Thanks again for the info. You have done a great job of detailing load performance.

Anyone out there with a .280 should get this info!

Jasper243

Posts: 32 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 160gr bullet for elk/deer comb. 56gr H4831sc is about all I can get before pressure starts to show, very accurate though, but vel. is right @ 2800fps. My go to load is 57.5gr IMR7828 w/ sim. accuracy & vel. closing in on 2900fps from my 23"bbl. I use Fed210 w/o ignition problems.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote