Find
Notify
Tools

.270 winchester load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
Here is my personal favorite 56.5 grains of IMR-4350 topped with a winchester power point. it clocks at 3075 fps in my 22" barrel. It shoots like a laser and is very accurate.I shoot the 130 grainin this load.
No extreme preasures just great preformance.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I had my .270, I was using a 130gr SP w/RL22 powder. Was using a CCI Mag primer, Winchester brass.
The .270 became my .338-06 since I bought a 7mm-08. Didn't need the .270 then.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
140gr hornady spbt imr 4064 and cci 250
Deer killin combo

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Hivelosity I have used the same bullet with great results but I shot a ruger #1b with a 26" barrel and the honest velocity was 3050 fps and always shot under 1" Awsome when it is recovered. Text book mushrooms and petal fold back.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have been using this load for several years and finally last fall recovered a bullet. It had traveled through several inches of neck bone and ended up opposite under the skin behind the sholder

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
hivelosity
I dont have the means at this point to show what mine look like. But I have recovered 2 of these one on a bear at 320 yards and one on a 4 point bull at 430 yards using the load listed above.Boyh of them look like an octopuss with the tanacles attached. I have also recovered several from my 7mm mag but 160 grainers. I have had a few disentigrate (from shots that i took to make them drop in there tracks because of darkness falling probably would not have found if I had not) I shot a nice 5x5 one eve that literaly nocked him down all I could see was his belly an his head bobbing trying to get back on his feet he actually did get up and took off like lightening. I was astounded when I found him the bullet had not gone thru but he took every ounce of energy that that 162 grain had. He only ran about 50 yards but I was amazed he got up at ALL. The result another recovered bullet it weighed 89 grains when recovered the shot was at 90 yards.again a nice mushroom.

one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
In my 270 Win:

Reloder 22 @ 60.0
130 Nosler Part. or Sierra Gameking BT
Fed 210GM primers
Fed Brass

Excellent Load

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Barnes Triple Shock 130 grain 57 grains IMR4350 Federal 210M primer Norma cases 3057 fps

MAXIMUM LOAD, I DON'T RECOMMEND ANYONE ELSE TRY THIS LOAD UNLESS YOU WORK UP TO IT CAREFULLY AS I DID!

Barnes Triple Shock 140 grain 59.3 grains IMR4831 Federal 210M Norma cases 3209 fps

Without guns we are citizens, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes 130 XLC, 60gr RL22 gets about 3200fps with very good accuracy. With the BArnes 130gr TSX I get about 50fps LESS, but still good accuracy.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I had a 1950's Win M70 in 270 Win, it loved ~ 58/AA3100 witha plain Jane Hornady flat base spitzer. No exaggeration, but it would shoot dime sized groups at 100 yards, and quarter siced groups at 200 yards, 6x scope. Unfortunately, somebody wanted more than I did-at the time, and I sold it. Oh well...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
150 grain Hornady flat base spitzer with 58/AA3100. Left the bullet weight out-oops. Got lost in nostalgia, and forget to proof read. Posted the original in a stupified, depressed state, after realizing I was stupid enough to sell that 270 M70. Ok, I got a good price, but it still caused pain in recalling a treasured gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As a huge .270 fan, I haven't found any powder that performs better than H4831, (or the H4831SC version) that shoots better groups or has higher velocity. It seems to shoot well in every .270 I've tried it in, especially with 130 grain bullets.

Bob

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
My Sauer 200 likes 62 gr of IMR 7828 and any 140 gr boat tail. The barrel is 25.5" and the single stack mag is so long you can really seat the bullets way out. No pressure problems at all but I would cut back significantly if bullets have to be deep-seated. Velocity on my Chrony was 3210-3220 fps.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Case W-W

Barnes 130 TSX .270"

Powder Rel ~ 19 - 57.00 grains

3 shot groups 3/8 - 5-8" Velocity 3090 fps

No pressure signs present in my rifle with 23 inch barrel

Posts: 342 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
Here's my 270 Winchester using IMR-4530 w/ velocity chrono'd at 10' and 100 to 500 calculated from JBM balistics:

Wt. Grains, Bullet Type, B. C., Muzzle, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 Yds

150, SGK, 0.483, 3025, 2832, 2647, 2469, 2300, 2136

Sighted in at 200 yards: My 270 Winchester reload is 6.2 inches low at 300 yards!

270 Winchester - long barrels, long cartridges (OAL = 3.40") and long bullets = Big Grin

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone use H4350? I have found it quite accurate in a .270 Win

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone use H4350? I have found it quite accurate in a .270 Win

What velocity do you get with your loads?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last rounds I loaded were .277 130gr Speer sp over 56gr of H4350. The book says 2950 fps with a 22" bbl. Mine clocked an average of 3097 fps average of 15 rounds fired out of a 24" bbl. This is one of the best grouping loads I have found for my rifle. I dont worry about smoking a hole through I worry about shot placement.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In a finicky Howa .270, the best groups with a 130 gr bullet came with a max load of H-1000.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in the 140 gr Hornady SPBT camp. I have shot a lot of elk with them. They are a great bullet. 59.5 gr of H4831 takes them to 2995.
Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron

I shot that exact load for a few years but I
shot a Ruger #1 and with a 26" barrel I got
3050 fps.It is a good load thumb
I killed deer ,elk bear and antelope with it also.Flawless.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is out of a pre 64 model 70. Every elk I have shot at has ended up on the dinner plate. I have shot so many head of animals with this load it should be a sin. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am gonna do some load testing this weekend with speer 130 gr hot cors and H4350, IMR 4831 and possibly RX22. I may test the RX22 with sierra 140 gr boat tail soft points. I think the slower powder will like heavier bullets. Call me picky but I weighed the speer bullets and picked out the ones that are within .1 of a grain to each other in weight just to see. Should I completely clean the barrel when firing a different powder or let it ride if it is grouping ok???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been a 270 nutcase all my life. I've used all of the weights known to man.

For the first few years I used IMR 4350 exclusively, I went thru the H4831 phase also.

When R22 hit the market I started using it and have not looked back!

For me, it is the powder for 270's. I get excellent speeds (usually 3200 with a 130 out of a 22" or 23" tube and 3000 for the 150's), usually about 100 fps faster than anything else I've tried.

Accuracy is usually scary good, so for me I call it load developement done.

Now if one is not looking for max speed then I feel that there are a lot of other good propellants to be had.

Just my thoughts

MD

J.O.C RIP

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote