Find
Notify
Tools

Need a 338 RUM load
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Nanook 450
posted
I'm going to start reloading, have 100 pieces of new Remington brass, 100 250 grain Barnes X copper bullets and a friend with reloading equipment.

I need a good load for a 338 RUM, shooting a factory Remington 338 RUM.

Primers, powder, everything I need to know would help.

Posts: 247 | Location: Norman, OK & Marble Falls, TX | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never tried the 250 grain Xs or TSXs but 250 grain Partitions liked 91 grains Reloader 25. A-Frames took a bit less. 89 grains IIRC.

Hornady SPs worked as a great practice load, interchangeable with the Partitions.

Reloader 25 worked so good in both of my 338 RUMs I never looked too hard at anything else, but H-1000 showed promise.

Federal Large Mag primer sparked everything. Seat the bullet out as far as you can...3.650"ish.

The 338 is the best of the RUMs for me.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Primers, powder, everything I need to know would help.

Should ask this question befor you baught these bullets.

If you think, you want to try these bullets only buy one box what if they wont shoot.
If these bullets are X bullets and not TSX I would just put them in the trash.

Just my 2 cents

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I horde the 210XLC and love 'em at 3400fps in front of '22.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting a factory Rem mod 700 BDL loaded with 215M primers, 94gr of Re25 and 225gr swift a-frames. The action has been bedded and trigger adjusted to 2.5 lbs. When I do my part it will generally average 1.25" groups at 200yds.

Posts: 889 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found my rifle likes the 210 TTSX over RL22 with CCI250. The load I use is over 3300fps out of a 26" LotharWalther barrel on a Sako AV action in a High Tech stock. Weighs just over 9# and groups 5/8 to 3/4 consistently.
With the TSX type bullets you don't have to go nearly as heavy to get your penetration. Monometal bullets are a whole new ballgame you have to experience to believe.

Posts: 90 | Location: NW PA | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote