Find
Notify
Tools

222 Rem with 70Gn Projectile
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Folks

I have my rebarreled .222 back, with a 1 in 8 twist and a big itch to try some 70 gn projectiles. The powder I have to hand is AR2206H, which I see from other posts is or is close to H4895. Can someone give me some data on this combination please?

Cheers - Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I can't help with that particular powder, but perhaps you could cross reference from this:

Download the Vihtavuori reloading guide from here

and you will see load with VV powders which push a 69gr bullet (close enough for government work to 70gr!) at a surprisingly fast 2907fps.

Well, it was surprisingly fast to me anyway!

The VV powder guide has a burning rate chart, so you should be able to see where you stand, and perhaps come close to 2900fps.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to Reloaders Supplies of Auckland
H4895 and AR2206H are the same powder, made in Australia (You know that, little island to the north of New zealand), by ADI.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool

Foster,

I have had some expereince with both the .222 & .223 with heavier bullets used primarily for Roe Deer stalking.

I've used 70 grain Speers, 60 grain Nosler Partitions (have NOT fine-tuned this load to my satisfaction yet) and also 74 grain Cone Points from RWS. The 74 grainer is manufactured for the 5.6x57 cartridge but at reduced .222 & .223 velocities gave true Big Game catridge performance with little blood shot meat and a golf-ball sized exit wound, net they delivered what I asked from a heavier than standard bullet in the small case.

I found the middle of the road powders, VV-140, H & IMR-4895, and IMR-4320 gave better accuracy and velocity than the more commonly used quicker-burning VV-130, H-322, H & IMR-4198, i.e., traditional 40-55 grain .222 & .223 powders.

My velocity expereince is exactly the same as jpb with these two calibers and heavier bullets - 2700-2900 fps range. While not real screamers for these calibers, the game performance with the heavier bullets works just fine providing you don't decide to start popping stags and such.

Good Hunting!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerry,

What twists did you have for those bullets. I have a 5.6x50R which is 1:13 (weird CIP standard) I know Montero had good results with the 70gr semi pointed speer but I would be really interested in how the 74gr cone point ran. The bullet I really want to use is the 65gr sierra BTSP but sierra say this needs 1:10 minimum....