Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes XLC and Reloader 22
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
I recommend that all loads be worked up safely to this point I am about to share.

I have recently been behind 4 different calibers that have used a combination of Reloader 22 and the Barnes XLC bullets and have proved to be accurate.

All 4 of these guns were worked up from a mid- load and stayed at 1.5" groups until they all reached a .5 grain off of their max load listed in the Barnes manual. When all four of these guns were shot at that load they all had 5-shot groups where all of the bullets touched and punched one-hole.

The four calibers used were: .300 Win Mag, ,338 Remington Ultra Mag, .270 Winchester, .270 Weatherby Mag

This combination seems to work so far, thought I would share it. If it works in other guns, please share.

My Pet Load: (.300 Win Mag) 79.5gr. RL22 w/ 180gr XLC XBT BARNES and Federal Gold Medal Large Magnum primers.

Good Shooting

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Magnum61

Do you have problems when seating the XLC bullet where the blue stuff scrapes off and clogs up the seater die?

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
I've never had a clogging problem in the seater but I have had the coating scrape off. I usually clean my seating dies after loading with these bullets anyway to avoid problems. I think it's worth the little extra maintenance to get the accuracy and velocity gains with these bullets that I have been lucky enough to fall apon.

I use a Forster Ultra Bullet Seater and it has been an investment that I would pay double to have it if I had to buy it again.

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
Pics of targets w/ groups will be up soon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are losing the coating then you need to use a VLD (Very Low Drag made by Lyman) tool on the inside of your case mouths. I had the same problem until I switched to the VLD during my case prep.

Posts: 109 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote