Notify
Tools

Looking 17 ACKLEY HORNET LOAD DATA
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bullets, Powders, Primers, etc.
thanks much

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In ackley's book he just shows 2 powders:25gr bullet-11-12 grs of imr4198and imr 4227,11-11.5grs.Don't know about primers but i think any small rifle will work.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eurocentric,
Do a google search for "17 ackley hornet load data"

You can log onto hodgdons's website and they have data there for the 17 Ackley Hornet.

Hodgdons 2009 annual can be purchased at many gunshops and bookstores.It show loads four loads for 20 gr v-max, 3 loads for 25 gr. HP,
5 loads for 30 gr berger HP.

Todd Kindlers "the Sensational Seventeens" can be purchased from "The Woodchuck Den"

Saubier.com should also have data.

FWIW, my go to load is 10 gr. Lil gun, rem 7-1/2 primers, 22 gr berger MEF, 1.750 oal. 22" barrel contender, +/- 3575 fps. This is book max for 20 gr. Hornady v-max. Shoots about 1/2 inch at 100 yds out of my Virgin Valley Bull Barrel.
Be aware that a .1/10th grain increment can make a difference in these small cartirdges.
PM me if you want more info.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot Gents, I havent been this excited about a caliber in a long-time. Going to use it for fox and coons, very close up. I have purchased 15-18 gr bullets as well.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You'll like it on fox and coons very much. Even the fireball/machIV are a little much on fox. The ackley hornet is abut perfect. Most of the fox I call in I shoot between 15 and 50 yds. It works great on them Works well on crows and jack rabbits also
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with your observations on the 17 FB, they wreck coons and foxes up-close, reminds me of the chainsaw massacre films.

quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
You'll like it on fox and coons very much. Even the fireball/machIV are a little much on fox. The ackley hornet is abut perfect. Most of the fox I call in I shoot between 15 and 50 yds. It works great on them Works well on crows and jack rabbits also
GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am getting to prefer Win or RP brass along with 25gr. Vmax for gophers in my .17AH. I'm using WSR primers along with Fed 205's, with 10.3gr. Lil'Gun. It doesn't fill the case, but accuracy is consitantly the best in this take-off CZ barrel I set back and re-chambered. I use 10.4gr. of Lil'Gun with the 20gr. Vmax as well. This barrel uses less powder than my GM .17 barrel, so one must start around 9.8gr. and work up, .1 gr. at a time. The other barrel needed 10.8gr. to reach the same velcotiy levels, so be careful - they aren't all alike as to needs or maximums. Small changes can make a lot of difference.

I use the same loads for fireforming - for a loss of about 75fps, but identical points of impact with identical accuracy, so fireforming while shooting gophers is rewarding and virtually identical to shooting formed brass. Although there is a fair difference between RP brass and Winchester Hornet brass in capacity, this doesn't seem to show enough to matter over the chronograph or on target. I keep it separate as a .188" button is needed to size the necks of RP brass and a .190" button necessary for WW brass.

Daryl S.

Posts: 169 | Location: Central B.C. | Registered: 27 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 4198 and 20 grain Hornady bullets, with 25 grain Remingtons shooting as well. Mine was the most accurate rifle I had ever shot. Should be perfect for fox and coon. Be careful shooting coyotes and it will work with well thought out shot placement. No recoil, fun to shoot.

Posts: 70 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'll like it on fox and coons very much

Can you shoot coons in Texas? they won't let us shoot them here in Oregon...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote