New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favourite .22/250 load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This one works for me in a heavy barrelled Tikka M55 which I shoot off a bipod at foxes at ranges averaging 150 yards.

Hodgdon H380, 38.4 grains
Hornady V-Max 55 grains
Std Rifle or Match primers
Federal Brass
Cartridge OAL 2.50"
Barrel length 600mm (that's 23 7/8" in old money)
Twist 14"
Accuracy: overlapping holes @ 200 metres (when I'm up to it!)

------------------

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Edmac>
posted
Pete
Have you tried 50 grain bullets and if so what results?
Cheers
Ed

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ed,

Not yet. I have a few 50 gr V-Max and I think I've got some in hollow point or fmj - all to try. I started with this weight expecting better wind-bucking performance. With a 14" twist I certainly can't go heavier (tried it with 60 gr sp bullets - keyholing everywhere.

What about you?

------------------

Posts: 360 | Location: Sunny, but increasingly oppressed by urbanites England | Registered: 13 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Edmac>
posted
Pete
I've got 2 boxes of 50gn moly coat Noslers and am trying to decide whether to load them or stick with 55gn Sierra's. Sounds like you've been having an interesting time with your load!!
Ed

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ed, I suppose you could try them and if you don't get on with them you could sell 'em to someone with a .223!

My load? Well, I quickly got down to 4 powder weights which behaved respectably @ 100 metres - 36.4, 36.9, 38.4 & 38.9 - and then it was down to seeing which grouped better at 200. Now I've just got to check it at 250 and 300 (largely for the confidence of knowing, I'm unlikely to need the extra range on Toby).

------------------