New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone reloaded the 270 WSM. I have a Sako that shoots 130 Winchester supreme good, but I am a handloader. what brass do you use, I think 140 barnes triple shock of nosler partition would be great

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
gi: Some real good info. on all WSM's at shortmags.com & realguns.com has alot of info. on the 270 WSM. My particular gun (NULA Model 20 270 WSM) has shot the following real well:
140 gr. Accubond, 60.5 gr. IMR-4350 (max.), Fed 215 primer, 3110 f.p.s., consistantly around 0.75" MOA and has shot as low as 0.37".
130 gr. Barnes TSX, 67 gr. RL-19, Fed. 215 primer, 3290 f.p.s., consistantly 0.85" or below. Shot 68 gr. at 3425 f.p.s. and just as accurate, but velocity very high and bolt a little tight, so backed off to 67 grains! Overall length on both loads was 2.83 to 2.86".
Obviously, this is only my gun and you should start lower and experiment to see what your gun likes!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Nosler's 140 gr Accubond bullet in the .270WSM. I load 65.0 gr Of Vihtavuori N-165 behind that bullet with a Federal 210 Priner and have had excellent results. Reloder 19 has also shot well with the 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips, while the 90 gr Sierra HP/Speer TNT seems to like IMR-4350.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally found a load that my Vanguard .270 WSM seems to like - 65 gr of IMR-7828, a Win LR MAg primer and a 130 gr Hornady Interbond. I will also try it with the TSX. Different manuals show different max loads with this powder and 130 gr bullets - one shows 66 gr as max and another shows 68.

I've found my .270 WSM to be very picky about powders - some show max pressure signs way before the book max in my rifle.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I use 140gr. Accubonds with 71.0gr. of Retumbo (compressed load), Federal 215 Magnum Primers, Winchester Brass(brass and Nickel Plated from the Supreme ammo I was shooting). Shooting under 1/2" groups out of my Tikka T3 LS 270WSM @ just under 3200ft/s.

Can't wait to try the new Winchester XP3 bullets next year for the 270WSM (150grains)

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not shoot one but my son has a Winchester Model 70 with a laminate stock. He uses 140 grain Sierra boattail with 63 grains of reloader 22 and a Federal mag primer. It shoots one hole groups at 100 yards, He took his white tail at 400 yards and cow elk at 205 yards both one shot stops.
Last group size was .334

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1504 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gi,

I have had two 270 WSM's and have spent over a year how shooting a Kimber 8400 looking for the perfect load and other accuracy tweaking. One of the old Guru's named Bob Hagel said "each rifle is an individual" and thats the most quoted saying around here.

So look at the suggested loads and make sure everything is tight and have at it.

I did most of my accuracy testing with Ballistic Tips and then hunted this year with the similar Accubond.

So I am using a drop tube and stuffing RL 25 into WW brass and it's pushing 140's out at 3175 fps. Thats my load. Tell us what yours likes when you work it out.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mr Jim Beagles
posted Hide Post
My Ruger 77 MKII Allweather likes 72gr Magpro, CCI LRmag primer, Winchester brass and Nosler Accubond bullet. I'm getting 32's our of a 22 inch barrel. My groups are at 1". This is a max load in my rifle.

If you can't have fun, what good is life?
Were liberals born that stupid or did they work at it?

Posts: 84 | Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gi My 270 WSM is a Savage mod 11. I started of trying H4831 sc and worked up to a max load of 68 grs with the 130 gr Hornady Interbond. That load will shoot 3 shot groups @ 200yds that you can cover with a quarter. I never even tried to find a better load. One shot at about 300 yds high in the lungs of a big 5x5 Manitoba whitetail this fall was all that was required.He made about 3 short jumps and piled up.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote