Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite 22 Hornet loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rather-B-Huntin
posted
I'm picking up a Ruger 77/22 Hornet and am looking for load recipes.

Already have some 40 gr. Hornady's and a pound of Lil Gun. What other bullet, powder, primer combos work for you?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded emotional and sexual maturity".

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will find this strange, but I shoot a K Hornet on the lowly NEF. Granted, not exactly the same chambering, but close. At any rate, the little NEF will shoot < 1/2 moa at 100 with 10 grains of AA 2200, a small pistol primer and standard old 55-grain Winchester soft point w/cannelure.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I'm considering having this gun rechambered to K Hornet. Have 300 rounds of factory ammo that'll be a great source for brass.

Until I decide about the rechamber, please keep the ideas coming!

Posts: 258 | Location: Winfield, WV | Registered: 06 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
AA 1680 with Rem 6 1/2 primers is usually the most accurate powder with the 45 gr cup & core Hornet designed bullets.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the rifle early or late production?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I had my Ruger #1 Hornet, 11.8gr Lil Gun and a 40gr vmax shot very well. Had a bit of ammo left and tried it in my NEF. Under and inch on that gun too.

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Lane, just scoop the primed case thru a bowl of AA1680. level it, and seat the bullet. I had a 77/22 and currently have an Old Model 70 Hornet Carbine. Both shot/shoot under an inch.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Is the rifle early or late production?

It's a newer model 77/22 Hornet All Weather model, so it has a .224" bore

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know this thread is almost 1 year old, thank you.

My M77, in straight Hornet, likes 13.0grs of Lilgun and a small pistol primer, though with one load it likes a Rem 7 1/2 srp.

With a Barnes 45gr XLC, I get 2,925fps, while a 'naked' 45gr bullet is about 2,850fps. This is out of a 20" barrel.

Same results out of a buddies M77 sporter.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey can we keep thjisd going please - I've just acquired a K-Hornet, its a Browning Low-wall with as 1:16 twist.

We don't have AA-1680 down here in New Zealand, so I'm gonna have to go with something like Lil-gun or a Vhitavouri powder.

Any thoughts on which "heavier" projectile might work best, I want to use mine for Wallaby, which are surprisinly tough.

Thanks
Foster

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tentman,

I have used a wide variety of bullets on coyotes (30+ lbs and also very tough), and have settled on the 45gr Barnes XLC. When I run out of the XLC, I'll switch to the TSX.

I've tried weights from 40gr to 55gr, softpoints, HP's, Vmax and Btips, and none have been as effective for me as the Barnes.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
13.0 LIL GUN 40 gr V-Max and Remington 6 1/2 primer. Shoots well out of my Browning LH A-bolt.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
12.2 gr Lil'gun and a 46gr WW HP in Win case with CCI primer.

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
11.4 grs of Lil Gun, under a 40 gr Sierra Blitzking bullet... getting around 2650 fps... shooting in the Savage Model 40... tame, but accurate, and anchors groundhogs real good.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote