Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7mm-08 Loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bill

I went .030 off the rifling. C.O.L was 2.804". I started using mag primers years ago on the advice of some friends here in Montana that convinced me that you get better ignition in sub-zero weather. Probably doesn't matter enough to bother with.

Steve

Posts: 60 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, BTW I've heard that some 7mm-08's are known for having short throats. That seems to be the case with mine. If I'd seated any further than .030" off the lands I would have been under the 2.800" O.A.L mentioned by most of the reloading guides. Not a problem if you don't mind giving up some case capacity.

Steve

Posts: 60 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Thanks for the info. I have a 7-08 in a old M788 Rem. with a 18 1/2" barrel and a 7wsm A-Bolt, so the Browning may get to use the tsx's a little more. Glad to hear you had good results .030" off the lands as I don't like to push the bullet into the case of either caliber all that far. And you're right about the mag primers in very cold weather. It doesn't get all that cold around here. BM

Bill

Posts: 128 | Location: Hensley, AR | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of floridabigfish
posted Hide Post
TT,

My best loads (velosity/accuracy) have come from H414 (very close to W760 (?). I loaded a few rounds with H380 and worked up to max, accuracy was good but a little less velosity than the H414. So far I have had good luck with 140 Partitions, 140 Accubonds and 140 Barnes TSX all with H414. Using Winchester Brass and seating the bullet to 2.775, I have 49.5 grains of case capacity. The TSX has worked up to 47.7 grains safely and the Partitions and Accubonds both like it at 46.5 to 47.0 grains. I like these loads for filling up the case to 95% range. I'm going back to retest some Varget again (used it early in load development w/ 139 SST with so so results), just to see if I can get better results. We get temp swings here in North Florida during the season from 60* to 20* so a temp insensitive powder may be the way to go. I have chronographed the H414 developed in the 70* range up to 90* with no problems, will have to wait on a cold morning to see what the lower end is like.

My brother has a 84M in 7mm08 and it is certainly a sweet rifle.

Posts: 318 | Location: Pinhook River, Florida | Registered: 27 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This was a rem classic with wood stock,I replaced stock with cameo stock,adjusted trigger,has 24 in barrel.
Favorite load is 45 gr varget with sierra pro-hunter 120 gr.Last week shot a 300 yd group of 1.03 in.3-shots.Shoots great.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote