New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 Savage + single shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My favorite bullet for whitetails and coyotes is the Remington 125gr psp backed by 37.5gr of H335, Winchester brass and primer. It shoots flat, out to 250 yards and hits inside the inch at 100 yards. It has dropped whitetails in their tracks consistently. It is a little hard on pelts, the last fox I had to shoot was quite a mess.

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<SlimL>
posted
Hawky,
You say 30-30 Savage. Is that the 30-30 Winchester round in a Savage rifle or a widlcat cartridge? SlimL

one of us
posted Hide Post
Slim, this is the 30-30 Winchester in a savage 340. I made the distinction because. the Savage is a clip fed bolt action. It is a stronger action and can use pointed bullets. I have found that hot loads are hard on brass. I use new brass for 2 to three loadings, then they get used for light loads.
I am playing with some Hornady 110gr PSP, and IMR 4198. If you want to Know how it goes drop me a E mail. I will be trying them tomorrow.

Posts: 125 | Location: SW Manitoba Canada | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hawky I have a Sav model 99 in 30-30 and I have used the 130 gr Hornady spire pt on a whitetail.It worked quite well.No,my 280 is not for sale!

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote