New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 30-06, 180 gr Nosler Partition Load
 Login/Join

<DavidP>
posted
How about a 30-06, 180 gr Nosler Partition load for African Plainsgame? Anyone have a tried and true favorite?

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

<Phil R>
posted
57gr. IMR4350. Kills 'em dead every time!

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

<Bill>
posted
I will second Phil, 57.0 grains IMR4350.

<DavidP>
posted
Great, thanks guys!

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

<R. A. Berry>
posted
I will put a third in to Bill's second of Phil's load. I think Finn Aagaard recommended the load too. Velocity in my rifle has been around 2700 fps with a 23" barrel, a little more with a 24" and a little less with a 22". Very close to 2700 fps. It is my "all purpose" 30-06 load.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
61 GR OF rl22....WORKS FGREAT

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
56.4 grs IMR 4350 max, was even too hot when usind AA 4350.

For hunting I would preferr 56.00 grs and no more.

H

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
AA 4350 is definitely faster burning than IMR 4350.

<10point>
posted
I know this aint a reload but boy I swear by that Federal HE 180 grn Partition load. I got a thru & thru, right above the shoulder, on a big wildebeast, from almost 300 yrds, from this load.

I clocked it at 2850 fps out of a 24" tube. Offhand I dont know how to match this with a reload , but , even at 100 to 150 fps less this would still be a plenty lethal load. I like that 180 grn partition bullet in an '06......good shooting..........10

<brassloader>
posted
I agree with Pop's post.61gr. Reloder 22 with 180gr. Nosler Partition does 2800 fps from my Browning A-Bolt(22 inch barrel) and is accurate.I use Winchester brass and primers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10point:
I know this aint a reload but boy I swear by that Federal HE 180 grn Partition load. I got a thru & thru, right above the shoulder, on a big wildebeast, from almost 300 yrds, from this load.

I clocked it at 2850 fps out of a 24" tube.

Love the Partition and took an elk with the Federal Premium standard velocity load (which only does about 2500 fps in my 24" M70).

The High Energy load was a one-hole shooter at 100 yds. I also got about 2850 fps BUT it showed serious pressure signs--flat primer, sticky bolt handle. Way more than I wanted to subject my old rifle too.

Also tried it in my Mark X, which wouldn't shoot it well at all and also showed pressure signs. This is a rifle that can generally take beyond-maximum loads and Hornady Light Magnums, but not these bad boys.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Super 88>
posted
David, I don't shoot partitions but my favorite load for my Model 700 Mountain Rifle in 30-06 is 58.5gr of Re19 with a Barnes 180gr XBT-XLC(coated). This load produces sub-MOA groups @ 2750fps and the Barnes has a considerably higher ballistic coefficient than the Nosler Partition for greater knockdown power at longer ranges.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
My favorite 30-06 load is 60.0 grains of H-4831 in Winchester commercial cases with CCI BR primers behind the Sierra 180 HPBT. I have taken over 30 deer with this load from ranges of 40 yards to 200 yards. Every one of these critters dropped in their tracks and the load never failed to produce an exit wound about the size of a grapefruit. I use once fired neck sized cases. the rifle is the Rem 700 BDL 22" bbl

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote