New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30-06, 150 gr and IMR-4064
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In my old Springfield MKI, this can't be beat. My Dad used this load for decades, and while he used 150 gr Sierras and I use Ballistic Tips, it just plain works. I get 1/2 to 3/4-inch groups all day long at 100 yards, and the rifle shoots them 2 inches high at 100 yards year after year without touching the scope. My load is 53 gr of IMR-4064 with either a CCI or Federal LR primer in Winchester brass, but that may be too hot for your rifle, so work up to it from about 50 gr.

I play around with new rifles and new cartridges, but this one works, year after year. And I seem to always see bucks when I carry it!

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Lucky Guns"....There ARE such a thing seems like. I can carry my .243 and never see anything and just let me haul my 30/06 around the farm and its like one of those video games with the animals running all around me. I use a load of 47 gr Varget with Nosler 150 BTs, easy on me and the gun and hard on the deer! FNMauser

Strike while the iron is hot! Look before you leap!He who hesitates is lost! Slow and steady wins the race! Time waits for no man! A stitch in time saves nine! Make hay while the sun shines! ect. ect.

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote