New
Find
Notify
Tools

7X57 175gr
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody have a load for a 175gr Sierra or nosler? I think that one of these bullets at 2500-2600 would be great on anything inside of 300 meters.

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas:
Anybody have a load for a 175gr Sierra or nosler? I think that one of these bullets at 2500-2600 would be great on anything inside of 300 meters.

I loaded up some nosler partitions at 175 g for use on elk in my Ruger#1 7x57. I don't recall the exact load, but it is the top load listed in an older speer manual for the Grand Slam or Mag Tip bullets. Think it was IMR 4198. Speer lists loads up to 50k psi, for modern rifles only. If you are shooting a modern rifle, make sure that the loads you look up are at least loaded up to or near the SAAMI limit of 46k.

It is listed at a little over 2500 fps out of a 22" bbl. In my rifle it shot a little over an inch at 100 yards, a little over 2" at 200 yds, and a little over 3" at 300 yards on a fairly windy SE Idaho day. No chronograph, so I don't know how fast it is.

I have not killed anything with it yet, maybe this fall !

Ben Reinhardt
Pocatello, ID

Posts: 58 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The load I use in my little Brazillian Mauser carbine (18.5" barrel) uses a 175-grain Hornady Round Nose pushed by 49 grains of WC 852 (the slow lot that burns the same as H450) and ignited by a magnum primer. I get between 2,400 and 2,450 with this load out of a short barrel.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
W760 H414 or one of the 4350 powders should all work well in the 7x57 with 175 gr bullets. I think BKR may be confused about the IMR 4198. That is a very fast burning powder for small capacity cases.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
W760 H414 or one of the 4350 powders should all work well in the 7x57 with 175 gr bullets. I think BKR may be confused about the IMR 4198. That is a very fast burning powder for small capacity cases.

That's what I hate about writing stuff about reloading from memory. IMR 4831 ? I'm at work so I don't have my manuals.

In any case, he'd need to look it up for sure before doing any reloading.

The Hornady manual seems to get max velocities from WW760 with it's bullets, but Speer got them with IMR powders. Go figure !

Ben Reinhardt
Pocatello, ID

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas:

One of my 7 x57s has been no target rifle but has always been accurate enough for bear hunting which I carry it for.

However out of a mid 1960s Speer manual I picked up for about $3.00 at an antique shop my wife hauled me into; I played with some loads from it.

I tried 40 grains of IMR 3031 ( a powder I only recently started playing with) and a Rem 9 1/2 primer. I loaded up about 25, and this was using Remington's bulk 175 grainers, so no primo bullets.

Velocity was 2650 out of a 22 inch factory stock Ruger 77 Mk2, with a 22 inch barrel. This rifle wears a straight 4 x scope. I had two sets of 4 shot groups that I could cover with a quarter.

Normally this rifles groups with other powders with this bullet gives groups you could cover with a dollar bill, or the Front Page of USA Today!

works for this rifle and that will be its permanent 175 grain load! [Big Grin] [Wink] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

The older speer manuals I have list loads at 50k psi. I'm assuming that your's does too, to get that high a velocity from a 22" bbl.

How far off the lands do you seat your bullets. I've actually got a package or two of 100 old Remington 175gr soft points at home !

Ben Reinhardt
Pocatello, ID

one of us
posted Hide Post
BKR:

I am not sure how far off the lands the bullet is. I can go and measure a loaded case length for you if that will help.

Actually I can tell you it is just in a Ruger 77 mk2 ( off the shelf, nothing special but a trigger job, by me) The bullet is seated to the cannelure. Nothing fancy. I seat all cannelured bullets to the cannelure.

Only reason for that is that they look funny to me otherwise, no logical reason beyond that.

Just worked and had great results, so I left it alone, Nothing more scientific than that.

Hope that helps and good luck!!
[Big Grin] [Cool] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire:
[QB]BKR:

I am not sure how far off the lands the bullet is. I can go and measure a loaded case length for you if that will help.

Actually I can tell you it is just in a Ruger 77 mk2 ( off the shelf, nothing special but a trigger job, by me) The bullet is seated to the cannelure. Nothing fancy. I seat all cannelured bullets to the cannelure.

Only reason for that is that they look funny to me otherwise, no logical reason beyond that.

Just worked and had great results, so I left it alone, Nothing more scientific than that.

Hope that helps and good luck!!
QB]

No need to check the OAL for me, I was just curious. Seating to the cannelure in my No. 1A would place the bullet at least .050 off the lands, I think. I usually load to .030 in this particular rifle anyway. Same accuracy and less pressure in max loads, judging by primer flattening.

I'm going to try some of those old Remington bullets soon, I'll try to let you know what happens. At this point my hunting load is a 175 gr. partition. I didn't get a moose tag this year, but I'll save it for Elk.

Ben Reinhardt

one of us
posted Hide Post
BKR,

I would second the 175 Partitions as my choice if this rig was being hauled elk hunting.

Last year I did carry another 7 x 57 in a Win Featherweight. I loaded up some older 170 gr RN Sierras out of it. They were chrono'ed at 2750 out of a 22 inch barrel. I loaded a dummy round and chambered it, then backed off the seating die just a hair.

I was carrying it in the thickets for close shots. It has a heavy duplex Leupold 3 x 9 on it. Otherwise I usually carry my 338/06 ( Model 70). I was carrying the Featherweight, because I had just picked it up for $300.00 because of the chambering. It was in immaculate shape and had even had an after market trigger installed and a Pachmeyer recoil pad. It was just the rifles maiden voyage in my ownship.

Great shooter also, and nice and classic all the way thru. ( I added the Leupold, that was not on there for $300.00)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire, I have a 7x57 Featherweight also, picked it up for $330 at a gunshow. I bought it because it was an oddball caliber. Mine throws a few shot's wildly. Usually the 1st 2 shot's will be touching, and the 3rd an inch out, but sometimes the 3rd shot is 2 or more inchs out. Thats with a hot load, if I shoot the mild Federal 140's, it doesn't do that.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Major Caliber:
Seafire, I have a 7x57 Featherweight also, picked it up for $330 at a gunshow. I bought it because it was an oddball caliber. Mine throws a few shot's wildly. Usually the 1st 2 shot's will be touching, and the 3rd an inch out, but sometimes the 3rd shot is 2 or more inchs out. Thats with a hot load, if I shoot the mild Federal 140's, it doesn't do that.

Hey,I lived in New Orleans for 15 years, moved to Idaho 2 years ago this month! How are the crawfish this year ?

I have found that if I seat the bullet a bit deeper that pressure signs drop off for a given max load. Sometimes when pressure is getting too high, loads get erratic.

Ben Reinhardt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

You are getting some really high velocities out of the 7x57 from a 22" barrel! I am saving money for a chrony, it will be interesting to see what kind of velocities I end up with.

The loads in the Speer manuals (that load to 50kpsi instead of SAAMI 46kpsi) don't get near that from their 22" barrel Ruger 77.

Ben Reinhardt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob:

Just as a point of interest. I have had a few people tell me that my chronograph must be way off on its reading. ( people in here, not at the range). I did send it back to the factory a couple of years ago, just to check that out.
They sent it back saying it was fine.

I do think that it is accurate, because when I have been able to check the same loads off of different chrony's the readings were pretty much the same.

Some loads I do get more velocity than the manuals say one should get. Other loads I get less than what the books suggest. Some times 300 fps less velocity. So I don't think mine is reading high.

I get accuracy, reasonable velocity and lack of pressure signs, I am happy with a load and leave it alone.

My way of checking pressure is to load 5 cases and shoot them 5 times. On the 6th time I compare how stiff the primer still is in being seated. If I notice it getting looser, then I back down the load a little, and try again.
May not be scientific but it works for me.

Good luck on your new chrony when you get it.

<eldeguello>
posted
Yes, I do!! It is 54 grains of RE 22 with the Nosler 175 grain Partition at 2720 FPS. This from both a Ruger 1A and an older M77 both of which have long throats and 22" barrels. The O/A loaded length of this load is 81mm. It gives NO high pressure indications in either gun, not even a slightly flattened primer!! Accuracy is 1.25 MOA or better with both loads. I don't think one could put enough RE 22 into a 7X57 case to cause pressure problems with any bullet of 175 grains or less. [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eldeguello:
Yes, I do!! It is 54 grains of RE 22 with the Nosler 175 grain Partition at 2720 FPS. This from both a Ruger 1A and an older M77 both of which have long throats and 22" barrels. The O/A loaded length of this load is 81mm. It gives NO high pressure indications in either gun, not even a slightly flattened primer!! Accuracy is 1.25 MOA or better with both loads. I don't think one could put enough RE 22 into a 7X57 case to cause pressure problems with any bullet of 175 grains or less. [Cool]

Thanks for the load ! I have a new pound of RE22 but have not been able to find a load for it. As I shoot a No1A I'm going to try this out, after backing off a few grains.

Is the 81mm measured with a comparator ?

Ben R.

<eldeguello>
posted
81mm measured with a dial caliper....

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eldeguello:
81mm measured with a dial caliper....

I meant, did you use something like a Stoney Point OAL gauge with comparator.

So the question is, is the OAL of 81mm from the ogive of the bullet or to the tip?

Ben R.

<eldeguello>
posted
BKR, the way I determine loaded length for all my No. 1's is as follows: Drop a bullet into the chamber, and let it slide up into the throat as far as it will go. Place an EMPTY, SIZED, TRIMMED case in the chamber after the bullet, and let it slide in as far as the base of the bullet will permit it to go. Measure the length of the end of the case that is still protruding from the barrel brecch, and add 1 mm to that measurement. That is the SEATING DEPTH for that bullet with cases of equal length. Then, measure a completed round with the bullet seated to that depth, from the case head to the tip of the bullet. In this instance, with the 175-grain, that is 81mm TOTAL O/A length from bullet tip to case head. (DON'T FORGET TO REMOVE THE BULLET FROM THE THROAT!! MAY NEED A RAMROD FOR THIS!!) [Cool] Of course, when looking for the same measurement with a bolt-action, you can't proceed exactly the same way, because you can't see how much of the case is protruding from the chamber when the case mouth touches the bullet base. But, you also have to worry about magazine length too, so that might be your limiting factor as far as O/A cartridge length is concerned, regardless of you throat length, in a magazine rifle.

I never fool with things like "Stoney Point Comparators, etc.!! [Roll Eyes] Just backward, I guess. But then, I like flintlocks, too!

[ 07-20-2003, 19:42: Message edited by: eldeguello ]