New
Find
Notify
Tools

.41 Magnum Load help...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just received some Beartooth Bullets in .41 Mag., 265 gr. WLNGC. I'll be using them in my S&W Mdl. 57, 6" bbl. I do not want to "hot rod" this load for the S&W, but want it stout enough for Black bear, out here in the Idaho mountains, should I need it.

My on hand powders are Blue Dot, H110, WW296, H2400, Unique, and WW231.

Has anyone loaded the 265 gr. bullet for the S&W 57, using any of these powders???

Thanks. L. W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a good .41 ruined with H110 and WW296 is a bit squirrely for my tastes. On the other hand I've had excellent results with 2400 in ALL my pistols and many rifles. It's EXTREMELY versatile and would be my choice. However, Blue Dot is a good powder as well. Just caution and good sense with whatever.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Pecos45. I've been loading 210/215 gr. hard cast bullets, and 210 gr. factory JHP bullets, for a long time, for the S&W. Haven't tried to "hot rod" those, either, even though I've used H110 & WW296, at times. Can't find anything in any of my reloading manuels (nine), for the 265 gr. bullet.

I've used a lot of H2400, and am just starting to use Blue Dot. Again, I don't want to put high stress on the Mdl. 57. It's been a "good friend" for a lot of years.

Thanks. L.W.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I too have loaded 41 Mag for many years. Never liked WW296 ... the part that says "Don't modify these loads" always worried me a bit.

2400 is a dirty powder ... may represent the very best available in Elmer Keith's day, but it not up to H-110.

Yup, you can ruin a hangun with H-110. But you can do the same thing with any powder that doesn't overfill the case volume with an unsafe load.

Heaviest slug I shoot is a Keith 220 made with H&G molds, so I will be of little help with the 265. None of my manuals have anything that heavy. the very, very old Lyman manual has a 240 ... but it's loads tend to be REALLY rockin'!

Good luck,

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lean - I just have to ask. What the devil are you wanting to shoot such a heavy bullet for in your .41? I can't think of anything to be gained, other than recoil. [Eek!] Trajectory will be like throwing a rock.

But if your're determined I think I'd start with about 12 grs. of 2400 or 10 grs of Blue Dot and carefully feel my way up from there.

I am roughly basing this on some "suggested loads" for the 220 gr bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pecos45, thanks for the suggestions on that 12/2400 and 10/Blue Dot. I'll give 'em a try.

As for why I want to toss that much lead out there...??? I don't know, really, except, well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Just kidding. I have a cow elk tag that I've been thinking I'd use the Mdl. 57, to fill, so wanted a heavier bullet, than 210/215/220 gr., which I have used A LOT.

Plus, out here in Idaho -- and I know you have some heavy Black bears there in N.M., too -- we have a lot of Black bears that just sometimes, love to raid our camps, no matter how well we keep them clean. So, thought I'd stuff the Mdl. 57 full of heavier loads, just in case. As I said above, however, I do not intend to "hot rod" the load.

Thanks for the advice, all. L.W.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LW, I just have to say it, but personally I'd feel better packing the 41 with a good 220 gr slug. I think the fact you are very familiar with the velocity and trajectory of this loading already will be a big plus in your hunting abilities. Whereas with the 265 velocity and trajectory both are going to suffer. I just don't really see you reaping any benefits.

People kill elk all the time with bullets a lot smaller and lighter than you 220 gr slug...and the same goes for the bear possibility.

I think the important thing is just to be able to hit what you shoot at, where you want to hit it.
This will do you lots more good than an extra 40 grs of lead tagging along.

And remember the load I suggested was just a SWAG. It has not been tested.

Drop me an email or repost here and let us know how your tests and hunt turns out. Good luck whichever bullet you choose. I just worry about you changing horses this late in the day. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
there are problably loads in the load section of beartooth-- here are the loads for a 270 gr. JDJ bullet I have --these are his loads not mine-- top is 19.0 gr of 296 or H110 ( Hogdon says they are the same at least that is what is being circulated) 41,500 cup pressure-- i have used and killed deer with 18 grains-- this bullet is very long and not much room for a lot of powder-- velocity is about 1180 1200-- btw how did 296 ruin a .41-- ? i saw a Super Blackhawk blown up with what was suppose to have been 22/ 2400 -- but I know this guy and he has only two powders -- bullseye and 2400 _ i think he used bullseye--anyway as with any reloading we are to be reasonable and careful-- i like 296 and use a lot of it -- good luck

Posts: 91 | Location: Milan Tenn. | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh, thanks. I checked "Load Swap," and "Favorite Loads," and "Handguns," at Beartooth Site, and got nothing. Was hoping someone here had used the 265 gr. in the Mdl. 57.

Pecos45, believe me, I'll not "hot rod," this load. I hope to chronograph it next week, and will post the results, when I finish.

Thanks, all, for advice and suggestions.

L.W.

<Oleman>
posted
Take a look at the 200 to 220 Gr bullets along with Lil Gun. Check out what I'm saying with a good balistic program.The 220 attains 1626 fps H110 is on its heels at 1563. Foot pounds wise and bullet drop wise it just about out preforms anything out there. The 265 is just to big and heavy for the 41's case capacity. Now if you're just looking for a target load maybe you have it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cast Performances Lists 18.0 of 296 for the 265 grain wfngc. hope this helps btw they list only 296 or h4227 I think any way there is the 296 load

Posts: 91 | Location: Milan Tenn. | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To all, for general information on 265 gr. cast, Blue Dot, and S&W Mdl. 57. Yesterday afternoon, via telephone, I talked at length with Marshall Stanton, owner of Beartooth Bullets. He said that 11.5 grs. Blue Dot would be well within pressure range for the Mdl. 57.

I'll post results when I chrono next week.

L.W.

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
How did that combo work out for you?

I am currently working with the Cast Preformance and True Shot gas checked 265's with AA 4100 powder in a 10" EA Brown Contender barrel. I have not reached max loads yet but all have been very accurate. No leading problems and the powder is clean burning.

Edit: I am also going to be testing these bullets in the 414 Super Magnum once the barrel arrives.

[ 04-06-2003, 01:08: Message edited by: MSSmagnum ]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
I've been shooting 16.8 grains of H-110 with a 260 LBT hardcast for 20 years. 1080 fps and comfortable to shoot. It outpenetrate anything I've ever tried in my 9 foot deep pool.......by double!

-

I've killed way over a hundred car crippled elk and deer with this gun.

The express sites are zeroed at 75 and 175.

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBelk:
I've been shooting 16.8 grains of H-110 with a 260 LBT hardcast for 20 years. 1080 fps and comfortable to shoot....

Are you casting these yourself? If not, where are you purchasing them from?

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I did some investigation of the heavy LBT designs (which I like) in the .41 Mag for use in my 16�" Contender barrel. After much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair I decided to not use a cast bullet [Eek!] but to go with the Hornady 210 gr. XTP and work up to 22.5 grains of L'ilGun. This load is working out wonderfully! Now that's not to say you shouldn't use those wonderful LBTs in your M57. Just as you have gone up from the "standard" bullet weight in the .41 so I did in the .44 Mag 300 grainers with wonderful results.

The thing is, as noted, that you have to get closer than with flatter shooting rounds. But the difference in practical terms is not that great. There is nothing wrong with H110/W296 or 2400. Based on my experience, I think you'll have the best results with one of those. JBelk says he uses 16.5 gr. with the 265 and I would say that is about right, particularly so that you don't wear down that gun too quickly.

Just be sure that loaded rounds won't hang out the front of that cylinder (a friend had that happen with an LFN design in .357 Mag! Boy was he disappointed. [Roll Eyes] ).

[ 04-07-2003, 23:34: Message edited by: Hobie ]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whoops, forgot to post my chrono results on the 265 gr. GC Beartooth Bullet, using my 6" Mdl. 57 .41 Mag.

11.5 grs. Blue Dot = 1,067 FPS

12.0 grs. Blue Dot = 1,103 FPS

BTW, I use Rem. cases, and WW L. Stan/Mag Primers.

Accuracy at 25 yards was best with the 12.0 grs. Blue Dot, 1 3/4".

No pressure signs.

Good elk/deer load for my particular Mdl. 57.

FWIW. L.W.

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I hope to get the chrono out this weekend and get velocities on these test loads. Will post back here the results.

one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
Hmm, I set the real heavy stuff aside after I found they offer diminishing returns. I standardized on a 250grWFNGC from a NEI mold. I load it to 1100fps for use in my Ruger OMBH which is my normal outdoors packin' pistol. It's taken care of three elk at under 60yards with one shot each. I've been trying Hodgdon's 'Lil Gun in some heavy stuff lately but haven't come to any conclusion. I use a lot of either H110 or W296 and don't have any problems with them. I just don't download either of them. Remember, if'n it ain't no .41, it ain't no fun! [Big Grin]

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote