Find
Notify
Tools

7mm-08 and 120gr. NBT
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of accrash
posted
I just picked up a Savage 10FCM Sierra in 7mm-08 and some 120 NBT's. I'm just curious what loads work for you guys and what your experiences are with this bullet on deer. Load data and velocities would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Chuck

Posts: 55 | Location: WNY | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck.

l've no idea about the NBT's as they're a bit too expensive over here for my use, so l went down the 120v-max angle and get 2900f/ps from 42grains of N140. My other load is 130smk's and again 42grns of N140 @2800f/ps. Accuracy with the 130's is into the .1's and not too far behind that with the 120's.
As to the effects on deer, l find that at close quarters (under 100yrds) on Roe deer the 120's tend to remove the head completely.

Posts: 386 | Location: Displaced Yorkshireman | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 120 br. BT in a 12" T/C Contender barrel in 7-30 Waters on antelope. For my taste, the BT is just to fragile even on antelope. However, the 140 gr. BT works great from the 7-30 on both mule deer and antelope. I shoot two different 7x57 rifles, and really like the 139 gr. Hornady, 145 gr. Speer, or best of all the 140 gr. Barnes TSX. Performance should be about the same as from your 7-08. I tend to prefer a little heavier, more strongly constructed bullet.

posted Hide Post
a 120 grain Nosler B/T is far from "fragile"
It has a Thick copper jacket.

This bullet has been known to kill, Mice 2 Moose.YMMV

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used this bullet in 7MM Rem Mag. on antelope & Mule Deer and it worked great. It sould work even better in the slower 7MM 08. If you have some, use them.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I should explain what I expect in bullet performance, and why I think the 120 gr. BT is too fragile for a deer bullet. I have apparently inadvertently insulted one of hammerdown's favorite bullets.

I shot 3 pronghorn does with this bullet. Ranges were 50 to 150 yards, with a 7-30 Waters Contender. The load was 37.5 gr. Win. 748. I did not own a chronograph then, but based on using the 140 BT now I think the velocity was probably around 2350 fps. I feel a hunting bullet should go clear through whatever animal I am using it on from any reasonable angle. It should easily break one or both shoulders in the process. These bullets did not exit on an animal that probably only weighs 60-70 pounds. These bullets made quick kills but damaged a lot of meat. In a 7-08, the velocity would probably be at least 400-500 fps greater, and would probably lead to more damage and less penetration.

Accrash asked for experiences with this bullet. I have given mine. Will this bullet kill a deer? Of course. Are there other 7mm bullets better for the job. In my opinion, definitely. I think this goes back to whether the hunter wants a fast, light bullet that comes apart quickly within the animal, or a heavier bullet that will expand less but penetrate more. Besides my own hunting, I guided for deer, elk, antelope, and mountain lion in NW Colorado for 15 years, so I have seen a lot of animals killed. I want an exit hole that will leave a good blood trail and cause the animal to inhale cold air. Most of all, I want good bullet placement.

Hammerdown and 6.5 SWEDE, could you please tell use about your experiences with this bullet?

Accrash, try a few different bullets and then use what you have the most confidence in.

Dale

One of Us
Picture of accrash
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I asked about experiences with this bullet because I've read, from other sources, that the 120's were supposed to be a little tougher than the 140's. If in fact, that is the case, I'd rather use the 120's for their increased velocity and flatter trajectory. If it is a more fragile bullet, I'll stick to the 140's.

Dale, I'm glad to hear about your experiences with the waters, as I have 2 of them myself. A 14" and a 21" carbine barrel. I've only ever used the 130 gr. Sierra ssp bullet and have been disappointed with the results. They were too fragile for my liking.

Thanks again,
Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Accrash - The bullet I have been using lately in my 7-30 is the 120 gr. Hornady SSP. I didn't shoot anything with it this year, but last year I got an antelope and a mule deer. So far I am impressed with this bullet. Too bad it is no longer made. I shot the antelope through the ribs, just behind the shoulder, and did not recover this bullet. I shot the deer at about 200 yards and hit the back of the ribs, angling it up into the opposite shoulder. Pretty decent penetration I thought. The recovered bullet weighted 100 grs.

As far as for the 7-08, I guess you will just have to experiment until you find a bullet you like. I like Nosler partitions and the Barnes TSX for deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw three antelope killed with the 120 BT over RL-15 out of my sons 7-08 two years ago. The buck was at 350+ yards and took the bullet in the crease between the shoulder and neck, it exited just in front of the diaphragm on the far side. The two does were taken with the same shot, the hunter didn't see the 2nd behind the 1st. Filled both doe tags with one shot that exited both broadside animals. It did the job well and I wouldn't hesitate to use the same load again.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My wife has shot three W/T Deer, one Cow Elk.
My son has downed a few W/T deer as well. All shots on the deer were complete pass.
On the Elk it was under the hide on the far side. Elk was about 125 yards. Deer were 50 to 200 yards.

I use RL-15 for powder.
I have read about others with good reports.
You are the only person who has had bad luck with this bullet.

Oh-well Best of luck to ya.
Hope you all have a nice New Year..

Posts: 146 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That was done in a 7-08
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
i also use RL-15 in my 7-08 but i use 140s

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of accrash
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to see RL-15 seems to be favored. It's one of my preferred powders to use.

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the load I shoot in my 7/08,the target on the left is with the hornady 120-SP and the 2 on the right is the hornady HP 120.
The Bt shoots just as good but I like the hor HP better.Shot a 10 pointer last year at 100 yds and a doe at 140 yds just behind the shoulder,both complete pass throughs,both went straight down.Shot a doe at 200 yds the year before with the hor SP and it worked the same.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dale, the 120gr. BT is not my bullet of choice, but I have used them. As the Antelope go the bullet did not exit, but broke up. The Antelope did die rather fast. The Deer as you said, meat damage, shot in the shoulder. In the past few years I have changed to the 243 Win and a Speer 85gr. SPBT and it has worked very well for me in the west, Eastern Wyoming.

6.5 SWEDE

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i need to ad, the load i use is 44.0 grs RL-15 with a 140 sierra sp b.t. REM. 700 24 in. s.s. shot over croney at 2940 fps.. dropped a 140 6 pt. at 318 yards.. this load shoots about .80 at 100 meters.. on a real cool day when everything is wright, sometimes it will lock holes

Posts: 1134 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have used 120 bt in me sons 7x57 for a few years now. I load a mild load of H 4895 getting about 2800 fps. I used this powder to let him shoot reduced loads when he was just starting out. I bumped the charge up to where we are now and can't see shooting it any faster for the time being. He has taken 6 deer so far with this load and all fell within a few feet. I'm sure you could shoot them a lot faster and have good results but for where we hunt it just isn't needed. He is still kind of a wimp when comes to recoil and this load is very soft shooting for him.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The combination that you mention is the same one that I go to for hog hunting here in Hawaii if we're not using dogs. The combination is deadly. However I have to agree with Dale that the 120 gr. BT's are a bit explosive. What I mean by that is when the impact velocities are high 2700-2900 fps, I find that the bullets blow up and the entrance wound is very large and there is considerable meat damage. If that is not an issue for you (head or neck shots), then I would suggest going with that load if it works well in you rifle. That is what I stick with as almost all my hogs are head shots. This combination will go sub-moa from my Ruger compact. I haven't taken a shot at anything over 65 yards so I can't attest to toughness at lower impact velocities. Anyway, congrats on the new gun and good shooting.

Posts: 56 | Location: Kona, Hawaii | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Premier Hunting Adventures
posted Hide Post
I am a huge fan of the 7mm 120 BT. I run them out of my 7 mag at 3300 fps. They shoot under 1/2" and go in a deer about the size of a quarter and out the same size.

I just bought a used 700 Mtn Rifle in 7mm-08 and it likes the 120 BT's also. Here is a target with data. I expect them to work like a charm on whitetails (or muleys, or antelope).

Larry Holjencin

Premier Hunting Adventures
760 Van Loo Rd.
Canon City, CO 81212

http://www.premierhuntingadventures.com
larry@premierhuntingadventures.com
719-429-7062

Posts: 113 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 25 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
IMHO the 7mm-08 topped with a 140 gr NBT is a deer cartridge made in heaven. I don't know about the 120's being "tougher" than the 140's but I do believe that the 120 is the lightest "hunting" (as opposed to varminting) ballistic tip Nosler makes.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate the .284" 120NBT,like no other bullet.

Gimme the 120V=Max at 3050fps,in front of '15.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, a V-max over the hunting BT?

Can you explain? Are you talking of using them on deer?

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have personally witnessed 3 deer shot with the 120 BT out of my son's 7-08. Worked every time like a charm.

45 grs. of Varget is pushing them out at a little over 3000 fps at the muzzle and accuracy is outstanding in his Ruger Hawkeye.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by accrash:
I just picked up a Savage 10FCM Sierra in 7mm-08 and some 120 NBT's. I'm just curious what loads work for you guys and what your experiences are with this bullet on deer. Load data and velocities would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help,
Chuck

WW Brass 120 gr Nosler BT Ramshot Big Game max load. In my 22 " Ruger LH 7-08 shoots under 1" @ 3100 FPS. Rifle group size
doubles with RL 15 and is slow?

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dale: Took a Hor.120gr SP and SSP and sniped 1/4" off tip and melted out lead and meaured sidwalls and base and they were same. Was at SCI show in Reno in 2006 and asked Hor tech. difference in the two bullets and he said the SP were marked "SP" on box and the SSP were marked "SSP" on box. You should look at topic I put on "Reloading" about a new line of bullets.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote