Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted:30-06 load for TSX and XLC 168g
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted
I have some XLCs and some TSXs in 168g I am going to load with RL19.

I have the Barnes book so I know what they say. Is there a particularly accurate load some of you have been using that I could give a try? I don't usually max out loads but since there is no TSX data thought I'd ask here if you started at the min. X load and worked up to and over the max. listed in the book. I show 56g @ 2781fps to 60g @ 2980fps with RL19 for the X bullet. Any real world data out there for the TSX? They state that the TSX will give maybe 100-150fps more and you may get up to 2g over max loads for the X.

Thanks.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 24 inch model 70 classic was very good with the 168 grain tripple shock and RL=22, the 19 might work great for you , but I got just over 3000. and just under MOA, Its great powder for the cartridge, its slow enought i am not sure you could stuff enough into a case to to cause any real harm with a 168 or a 150, I don't plan on testing my theory though...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree Re19 or Re22 should produce great results for you. Wouldn't go too much past 3000 fps.

One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. My 700 w/ 22" barrel drops about 80fps from book speed so I figure the TSX will give me about book speed since they say you will possibly get 100-150fps more than the standard X bullets. I'm looking at getting between 2800 and 3000fps. Don't need elk or moose loads for TN deer but I do want one load to do it all in case I ever get drawn for KY elk.

So on the TSXs, are you guys loading up to max for the X bullets or are you going over max like Barnes says you might be able to do? What I want to know before I work up some test loads is should I stop at max and expect to get what the X bullets do or should I expect faster speeds with the TSX at the same powder charge?

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
AIU posted this on another thread and I concur. I have had good velocity results with RL22 and decent accuracy.

quote:
Nosler offers up a couple of tremendous loads for the 30-06 - both Re22. 1) 165 gr. Nosler bullet, 24" barrel, 63 grs., 3002 fps, and 2) 180 gr. Nosler bullet, 24" barrel, 61 grs, 2872 fps. Impressive performance, and QL estimats ~60,000 PSI for each. Worth tryng.

However, I have some excellent groups using the 168 gr TSX with IMR4831 at around 59 gr using Fed 215M primers. As usual - start lower and work up in your rifle

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I load 59 grains of H-4350 win. cases, federal 210 primers 3000 fps out of my rifle [27" bbl.] and groups 3 in .5 or under. This load crono's 2900 out of my brothers rifle.The R-19 is very close in burn rate to H-4350

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
I load 59 grains of H-4350 win. cases, federal 210 primers 3000 fps out of my rifle [27" bbl.] and groups 3 in .5 or under. This load crono's 2900 out of my brothers rifle.The R-19 is very close in burn rate to H-4350

Thanks, that's about what I'm looking for. Barnes shows 57h h4350 as max for X bullets. So folks are able to go a grain or two over with the TSX. thanks

One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
quote:

However, I have some excellent groups using the 168 gr TSX with IMR4831 at around 59 gr using Fed 215M primers. As usual - start lower and work up in your rifle

Thanks. Barnes is showing 59g as max for the X bullets. Did you stop there with the TSX because you were getting good results or did you try going over and backed off? What velocity are you getting with 59g?

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey O C

Just checked my spreadsheet and I got 2826 fps from that 59 gr IMR4831. The best velocity I got was 3066 fps with 62.5 gr RL 22. That load shot OK accuracy.

I did load up to 60 gr IMR 4831 but it started showing shiny spots on the head so I backed back down. Finally went to 200 grain Accubonds as my hunting load in that gun. Use 59.5 gr RL 22 and it shoots good and should be a good bullet for my upcoming Elk hunt. Carries a lot more energy close up and downrange.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
The 60.0 of RL 19

My favorite is 57.5 of IMR 4350 with 165/168 TSX in the 30-06.

I also had a little better accuracy with the 165 TSX than the 186 TSX.

Jeff
North Pole, Alaska

Red Team 98

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote