Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Guy Needs Help With .44 Mag Elk Hunting Load
 Login/Join

posted
Can someone please offer some suggestions for for a good elk and black bear .44 magnum load?

I'm planning to take my Ruger Redhawk elk hunting with me this year. Where we're going, it's a combination of long shots in between large areas of thick, dense forest. Based on past experience, it's certainly possible to get a 50 or 60 yard shot in the Aspens.

I was hoping to perhaps use a 300 grain cast bullet such as this wide flat nose gas check by Cast Performance but I will defer to the experience of others. Please keep in mind this will be shot from a 4.2" barrel. While I do want enough force delivered to the target, I would like to avoid excessive unburned powder being sent into the air and/or unnecessary muzzle blast. I'm not sure which way to do this that is sensible or if that's even possible with this revolver. I need some help.

Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Posts: 15 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
May want to post this in the "Handgun Hunting Forum", you will get a lot of great feedback from those guys!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will do. Thank you.

Posts: 15 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tex, I been loading the 300grn Castcore for awhile over 19-19.5 grns of H110. Accurate and hits hard. Mt SBH likes it and so does my 16" Winch. Trapper. Killed a hog at 85yds opens sites w/ my trapper. Made a hole like a 1/2" drill bit. Pretty good w/ my old ass eyes. I love that bullet! Anyway mt 2 cents worth.

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon H110 -- made for 44 magnum loads. You get the highest velocities with the heaviest bullets. But it may not work in your short barrel.

Ruger is designed to go big/heavy in 44 mag. -- but I'd get rid of the snubby and look for a handgun designed to hunt, 8" bbl. or longer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a write-up on Beartooth bullet site with load data. It is 2nd artical on the page.
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/open_sight/index.htm

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote