Notify
Tools

7.65 argentine /Belgian mauser
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted
Hey guys
What do you have for a .311-312 Diamater bullet in a 150 grain bullet?
I am mostly interested in the powder that you use With these diamater bullets. Looking for about 2900 fps.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My father shot one for years, until his eyesight got so bad he can't hunt any more.
I loaded the 150-grain Speer in front of 45 grains of IMR 4895 for him, and a CCI-200. That was Ken Waters' recommendation from Pet Loads a long time ago, and it shot to one hole in Dad's '91 Arg. with no pressure problems. Never chrono'ed the load, but it put a lot of venison on the ground...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately I don't have any loads this fast or with this light a bullet. But what the heck I'll put my favorite load up anyway. I use the 180 gr. Speer .311" RN in my '91 Mauser. It's consistantly around .8" for three shots at 100 yards with a peep sight. Unfortunately it runs just around 2300 fps, anyway this load is with 43 gr. of Reloader 15. I figured for a '91 Mauser better to stay on the low end, and up to 150 yards or so it will slay deer and hogs.

Good luck, hope someone has a closer load for you it's a great old round.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Browning guy I used your load as a starting point with the RL-15.
I started at 43 grains and went up to 48.0 grains and settled on 47.-47.5 grains with the .311 remington and get 2600 fps from a 22" barrel in a 1909 action.
I guess i could start with 45 grains of RL-22 and a 150 grain Hornady .311. I might get 2800+ from it.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Doubless and Browninguy

I do believe of all the members here we are the only ones reloading for this old timer. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a shame... it is another caliber with a military background, and like all the others, it has a world of potential. My father's was "sporterized", as he called it, and would shoot one-hole groups with factory military barrel, even after it had been cut to 22". And that was with the two-stage trigger and a K3 Weaver!

Ken Waters gave the caliber very high marks in his "Pet Loads"...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not so, cal30-

I'm a sucker for anything Mauser, and various anachronisms and lost causes in general.

Actually, I've been seriously considering 7.65x53 for my new project. It's tough, though: The barrel will be a special order, and although I can get one from Lothar Walther for $345, I'll probably have to use a cartridge for a go gauge to face the breech.

I currently have a couple of original 1909s that I'm hoping to take up to the range this weekend. If I can load some brass.

In general, I'm a wuss, and not at all interested in hot loads.

I've been using the Hornady .312 (listed as .303) 150 grainer.

And had reasonable luck with 4064, the few times I have shot them.

Any further information you'd be willing to pass on from Ken Waters would be appreciated, Doubless.

Thanks for the posts, Gentlemen.

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
It has been years since I hunted with an Argentine and I used IMR 4895 but don't remember the exact charge wt. I do remember using 150gr. .308 Nosler Partitions paper patched up to .311 with excellent results on deer and ferel goats.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My reloading experience with this cartridge is not nearly as great as with some others, but I do tinker with it a little bit now and then. I've never achieved anything close to 2900 fps even with the 29" barrel on my 91'. But then again, I don't won't to push the envelope with this old rifle, so my loads have been on the mild side. With the 150 gr. Hornady Spire Point I'm using 47grs of IMR4350 in Norma brass with Fed 210M primers. This gives me about 2,500 fps and accuracy is quite astounding considering the shape the rifle's bore is in. I shot a really nice whitetail last year with this load. When I'm done shooting the current loads I've worked up I'm going to give IMR4064 a try.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought my dies for the 7.65, and I have a 1000 Hornady 150gr .311 bullets.

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote