Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 & 250 grain pills
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
Anyone have any favorite loads with 250 grain bullets?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

I've been using the 250 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips (OAL 3.225") & Woodleigh 250 gr. Weldcores (OAL. 3.20") in my 9.3x62 with good results. I've also been chopping the noses off the front of Speer 270 gr. SP's for a neat blunt, flat-tipped shape to the same 250 gr. weight as the other two bullets also, they work fine too.

I sorta figured that if I needed a heavier bullet than a 250 grainer in my 9.3, then simply go to 300 grainers in my .375 H&H; so I've pretty much limited my loading efforts to this weight in the 9.3x62.

I've used these three powders with both bullets and the loads were accurate, mild and work great on game. For me the VV powders are easiest to obtain so that's my main load bu the other two are good as well.

55.6 grains of VV N-140

56.4 grs. of IMR-4320

53.5 grs. of H-4895

Started the load process with the NBT's and simply used the same data for the Woodliegh's and Speers - worked great.

Standard reduce your load precautions & warnings apply!

Have fun!

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's all well & good..but Nosler doesn't make the ballistic tips any more, discontinued & I can't find any here that are still around.
Best Regards,
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Gerry. I have 2 boxes of the Noslers that i am working on a load for. When i am out of them I'll be scrounging the gun shows I guess. Roll Eyes

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

Glad to help out.

I got lucky and scarfed up on a small supply of the 250 gr. NBT's when I was on a shopping trip to the States, so I've got a few in reserve. Plus the overseas shipment backlog leaves some available to us here in Europe albeit at siginificantly higher prices.

Unlike the Dodo Bird, the 250 gr. .366" NBT's will surely be replaced by the Accubond. If this works similar to my experience with the 260 gr. .375" NBT's and their Accubond replacement for the .375H&H; then it was the same bullet shape, size & weight in spades with the only difference being the bonded technology. They were loaded the exact same and shot to the exact same spot with my .375H&H. so I venture that if you work up a load for the NBT's it'll work just fine re-applied to the Accubond.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote