Find
Notify
Tools

Load performance at close range
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted
Just wondering what the prevailing wisdom is for load performance at close range for deer sized game.

I typically am hunting Northern MN or Southern Ontario whitetails using .30/06 Sprg. shooting at ranges of 50 yards or less.

Last year had a disappointing result shooting a 165 gr Hornady SST Interlock into a deer quartering towards me at about 10 feet. I have a muzzle velocity of about 3015-fps and I am wondering if that is just too fast for this bullet to hold up properly at that range?

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too fast for a cup and core bullet for that range. I hunt Up there and use a stouter bullet for just that reason. I have had great results with 165's at 2600 or 2700. If I go faster I go with TSX or Partitions.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto TJ's post. I've had good luck with 180"s on close range deer and black bears, also hogs. My 180 reloads in 30/06 chronograph at 2650 +or- 25 fps.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
53/53.5 Varget and a 130 grain TSX/TTSX wil come out around 3150 and gives you virtually the same performance from 25 feet to 300 yards. I have yet to see a deer need a second dose of them.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just load down to 2500-2600 fps. Thats what I do with 165 gr, Ballistic Tips. It will still hit plenty hard out to 300 yards or so. I'd even go as far as changing to Nosler Partitions.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hiya
Hey if ya really want to get wild and crazy, try this;

AA5744 is an absolute miracle powder for reduced loads in the larger cases. It's not position sensitive so you do not need to use any kind of filler and it provides excellent velocity spreads.

So, what you could do in your 30/06 is turn it into a 30/30 by getting some 170gr 30/30 bullets and load them up in the 2000-2300fps range, ( This is factory 30/30 velocity depending on long or short bbl. ) using AA5744.

Start about 30.0 grains and work up in 0.5 grain increments to about 37.0. Three round strings should be fine. Somewhere in that range you should find an acceptably accurate load.

So, if you KNOW you not going to shoot more than 50 yards this might be the way to go.
The benifits are, you are shooting a bullet DESIGNED for this velocity and meat destuction will be at a minimum.. Just like you were shooting a 30/30 Win. thumb

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Use a heavy conventional RN or FN bullet and lighter charge (within safe reason, don't "underload" slow powders). Thump it, don't smack it.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RDub:
Hiya
Hey if ya really want to get wild and crazy, try this;

AA5744 is an absolute miracle powder for reduced loads in the larger cases. It's not position sensitive so you do not need to use any kind of filler and it provides excellent velocity spreads.

So, what you could do in your 30/06 is turn it into a 30/30 by getting some 170gr 30/30 bullets and load them up in the 2000-2300fps range, ( This is factory 30/30 velocity depending on long or short bbl. ) using AA5744.

Start about 30.0 grains and work up in 0.5 grain increments to about 37.0. Three round strings should be fine. Somewhere in that range you should find an acceptably accurate load.

So, if you KNOW you not going to shoot more than 50 yards this might be the way to go.
The benifits are, you are shooting a bullet DESIGNED for this velocity and meat destuction will be at a minimum.. Just like you were shooting a 30/30 Win. thumb

I hunted No Minnesota, 25 miles north of Chisholm, for 15 years.

I support my fellow Grants Pass resident and forum member, RDub's suggestion, although he and I would use different powders...

I'd be out there with a load of 30 grains of IMR 4198 or RL 7, or 25 grains of SR 4759..

take your pick on bullets, but they would be any 150 grainer for a 30/30, that new 160 grain FTX from Hornady, or any 170 grain 30/30 bullet or any 180 or 220 grain RN..

as said, you are duplicating 30/30 loads..

of all the bucks I took in Northern MN, the longest was less than 100 yds..

the biggest was 265 lbs field dressed, and estimated by the DNR to be about 340 lbs on the hoof..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote