New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anybody give me some recipies for the 260 rem. Both in a lighter grain bullet,80gr for varmint hunting and also on the heavier end 120-140 gr for bigger game?

Posts: 40 | Location: Casper,Wy. | Registered: 04 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
**These loads appear safe in my new Model 700 Mtn. Rifle, but may be dangerous in another. Reduce 5% and work your way up**

100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip
43.0 grs. RL15
CCI BR-2
R-P case
~
3010 fps/22" barrel
-------------------------------

120 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip
49.0 grs. H4831sc
CCI BR-2
R-P case
~
unknown velocity, sub MOA for 5 shots @ 100m
-------------------------------

120 gr. Sierra MatchKing
39.5 grs. Hodgdon Varget
CCI BR-2
R-P case
~
2765 fps/22" barrel
--------------------------------

140 gr. Nosler Partition
46.0 grs. Hodgdon H4831sc
CCI BR-2
R-P case
~
2640 fps/22" barrel
--------------------------------

I have only played with the 100 gr. NBT, nothing lighter. I will be trying the Hornady 95 gr. V-Max soon. Varget/RL15/4895's seem to be the best for bullets weighing 100 grains or less.

With 120 gr. bullets, I think the 4350's, RL19, and IMR4831 would be best.

With 140 gr. bullets, H4831, 7828, RL22, would be ideal in terms of burn rate.

Good Shooting

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
todbartell,

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me. I will definetly give this a try. For awhile there due to the lack of responses I thought I was the only freak shooting a 260 Rem.

Mike

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the 6.5 club, we're the ones who get to stick our noses on the window and watch all the 270, 7mm, & 30 cal guys buying those new fancy bullets that seem to come out every few months! [Razz]

Oh well, as long as Nosler makes 6.5mm Partitions, we'll keep our mouths shut. [Cool]

What type of rifle do you shoot?

[ 01-29-2003, 13:41: Message edited by: todbartell ]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
todbartel,

I have been carrying the same trusty old 30-06 Remington Model 6 pump-action since I was 14 years old (I am now 32). I guess you could say I am one of those strange "one rifle kinda guys". I have two young boys that I wish to introduce to hunting/shooting and was perplexed as to what to buy for them in a medium sized rifle that would have enough energy to hunt game up to Elk sized critters that would not leave them with a dislocated shoulder. After many many hours of research and questions to others I settled on the 260 Rem. It is a Ruger M77 MkII Stainless over synthetic stock with a 22" barrell. Shoots nicely and has minimal recoil.

Mike

<rifleman>
posted
dakotakid and Tod,

I'm with ya on the 260. I saw the thread earlier, but haven't found THE load yet. My results have been good but not great. Today I've got UPS delivering some 120 gr Nosler BTs and some 129 gr Hornady SSTs. I also picked up some H414, H4350 and another # of H4831SC. The 414 & 4350 are powders I haven't used before. I was going to give the 414 a try first. Wish me luck, I'll let you know what results I come up with. Any other advice would be appreciated Tod, and I hope your eye gets better real soon!

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was working up a reduced hunting load last fall using 120 NBTs and H4895, goal was 2300 fps MV w/21" barrel. The first load I tried (60% of max load) clocked only 2000 fps, but printed one ragged hole for five shots at 100 yards. When I got to 2300, it was still submoa, but not quite as tight. Recoil was practically non-existant with those loads, very pleasant.

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Mountain Gun likes 120 Grain Sierra Game Kings and 44 grains of H414. It shoots under an inch and I've shot two deer with it so far. Both dropped without taking a step. The bullets didn't expand on exit but there was a lot of internal damage and part of the lungs where "sucked" out of the exit hole on one of the deer.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,

What kind of velocity are you experiencing with that load?

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
There are so many bullet/powder combinations out there, it is tough to know where to start.

When I got my 260 last year, I kept it simple and loaded IMR4350 and Hornady Interlocks. Before hunting season, I lucked out and my first load of H4831sc & 140 gr. Partitions was a good one, MOA or a bit less. Whacked 2 deer with that load this past fall. 2640 fps is less than what probably could be made, I just did the max load Hodgdon remmomends. Deer didn't seem to notice!

I've shot only a few different types so far. 100 gr. Nosler BT's shoot ok, that RL15 load will do MOA or less. Blew a big hole in the coyote I shot last month. 120 gr. Nosler BT's shoot better, but I was a bit hesitant to use them on game. I really like the 140 gr. Partition, but will try the 125 gr. Nosler for next year's deer season. H4350 or RL19 will be my starting points with that bullet. I have some 129 gr. Hornady SP's loaded up with RL19 now, hope to get 2850 fps or so with good groups. That will help me with the 125 gr. Partition loads too, sort of an idea of velocity, etc. I also have some 140 gr. Sierra GameKings, I'd like to see what type of performance I can get. They have a good reputation for accuracy.

Here's another load I forgot before.
---------------------------
140 gr. Speer Hot Core
50.0 grs. RL25
CCI 250 Magnum primer
R-P case
~
2721 fps/22" barrel
----------------------------

This is about all the powder I could stick in the 260 case, and seat a long 140 gr. spitzer. Filled it up to the bottom of the neck. Crunch! [Razz] I used a magnum primer, thinking the slow RL25 could need a hot spark to set it off right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakotakid,
I'm getting around 2800 fps. Not especially fast, but fast enough.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
DK,

I've been reloading about a year, seriously, and got serious when I started shooting my .260. The load I've settled on is:

Speer brass
120gr. Nosler BTs
CCI200 Primers
46.5gr. of AA3100

I don't know the velocity, no chrony, but they shoot one ragged hole for four shots at 100yd. The fifth shot is usually 3/4" off. This is all out of my Remington Model 7 Stainless out of the box rifle, Burris Compact glass, Warne bases and rings. Great caliber and only gets better with handloads. Wish I had started long ago with the reloading. Good luck with yours.

Joe

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
ovis,

That load should be doing around 2700 fps or so out of your 20" barrel.

rifleman,

H4831sc should give you good results, especially with those Ballistic Tips. I chronographed a load, 48.5 grs. H4831sc/120 gr. Sierra MatchKing, it did 2782 fps. That is alright, but I basically get the same velocity with Varget, but with 9 grains less powder. I think the slightly faster 4350's/RL19 would be the best in the 120 gr. weight. Who knows though, I didn't think I could reach 2700 fps with RL25/140 gr. either. Should be able to do 2950 fps with a 120 gr. bullet in a 22" barrel. The reason I like the H4831 with the 120 gr. NBT in my rifle is that it is the most consistent, accurate load I've found. Hodgdon shows a max load of 50 grs. H4831 for a 120 gr. Speer SP(2954 fps/24"). Since the 120 gr. BT has a much longer bearing surface than the Speer bullet, I wouldn't be suprised if you get a tad more pressure. Be careful once you get around 49 grs. and up. The extra velocity isn't worth that much. 50 grs. of powder is about as much as you can stick in the case. H4350 would be my #1 choice. Same velocity with 120 gr. bullets as H4831, but with 3.5 grains less powder. Maybe a magnum primer could help the velocity of the H4831 load, who knows?

Here is a link to some good 260 data from Hodgdon:

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/260rem.php

Good Shooting

one of us
posted Hide Post
ovis

You and I are in the same boat here, fairly new to reloading but with the addition of the 260 I plan to get into it more seriously, and now will load more seriously for my other calibers as well.

todbartel,rifleman,bob257 and BillM

Many thanks to you guys as well, since I am new to the reloading game I appreciate your willingness to share experiences with me. I have picked up a wealth of knowledge in the short time I have been visiting AR.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakotakid: I am just now bringing online a Remington 700 VLS in 260 Remington. This is the Varmint model with 26" barrel and laminated stock. It has a 6.5X20 Leupold scope on it and the first load development loading I tried with it gave me a .451" group for 5 shots at 100 yards! I am thrilled with that and probably will not try any other bullets or loads for this year.
The load is: 260 Remington brass with the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, Federal 210M primers and 41.0 grs. of IMR 4064. This loading was recommended to me by another happy 260 shooter. This load is 2.0 grains under the Nosler manual listed maximum load of 43.0 grains. I plan on using this load and Rifle for long range Antelope, Coyote and Rock Chuck Hunting.
Good luck with yours!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
todbartell,

Thanks for the info. I'm just having a blast(figuratively speaking) doing this stuff. Just got a .375RUM and will start on that as soon as I get a few more components. The .260 is a great round, not spectacular unless utter consistency is spectacular, and , to me, it is.

DakKid,

Hang in there, lots of good experience to be had around here.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
My rifle, My loads... so proceed with all due caution , back off and work up...It's your head behind the bolt [Smile]

Remington model Seven,LSS, 18.5 inch barrel.

Bullet- 95 grn Hornady V Max
Charge - 44 grns reloader 15
Primer - CCI 200 Large Rifle
3100 Fps... great load on yotes.

Bullet - 129 grn Hornady Interlock
Charge - 41 grns H 380
Primer - Federal 210
2600 fps....... This is a mild little load and its great for kids. My kids hunt with it and the Interlock bullets have made only one shot kills with this load.

Bullet - 110 grn G.S.Custom HV
Charge - 50.5 grns Winchester 760
Primer - Federal 210
3186 fps....This load is awesome,the bullets can be a little bit of a wait to get but well worth it.This load is awesome on Deer and Hogs,I have not shot anything larger but have no doubt that the HV bullet will perform.

This rifle is by far the handiest walking around rifle that I have owned. The light recoil in a short,light weight package make it a great rifle for the kids to hunt with as well....

Posts: 113 | Location: Hunter, Tx | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I did a search, and found some more info on my 120 gr. Nosler Ballistic load.

This was originally posted August 18th, 2002

-----
I shot a pretty good group last night with my Remington Model 700 LSS Mountain Rifle in 260 Remington. Here is the load.

R-P case
49.0 grs. of H4831 SC
CCI BR-2 match primer
120 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip
C.O.L. - 2.825"

It was a 5 shot group at 110 yards, which measured .61". I hope to try the same load, but with 49.5 grs. of H4831, and see how it groups.

2nd group -
I got a chance to shoot the 120 gr. Ballistic Tip/H4831 load today. It is the same as my first load, with one exception. It has .5 grs. more powder.

49.5 grs. H4831

5 shots at 110 yards went into .95"
-----

<rifleman>
posted
todbartell,

You talked me into trying H4831. I loaded up some starting @ 48.0 gr working up in 0.4 gr increments and topping out @ 49.6 gr. It's pretty cold here and my schedule has been pretty full, but I'll give them a try as soon as I can. I'll post the results when I'm done.

Dave

<DMCI>
posted
I like and use Saeed's load of:

F210M
100 gr Sierra Varmint HP
41.5 H4895
Winchester 7-08 Cases
Vel: 3200+

Seems to work very well in my Varmint rifle. Various PD are unavailable for comment!

-

[ 02-04-2003, 17:18: Message edited by: DMCI ]

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
rifleman,

Sounds good. Do you shoot 3 shot groups or 5 shots? I used to shoot 5 shots, but due to the light barrel on my Mtn. Rifle, it was heating up too quickly. It would shoot 5 into a tight group, but only if I really let it cool for the 3rd, 4th, & 5th shots. So, I've been doing 3 shots, and am much happier doing it this way. If I were shooting a heavy barreled bench rifle, like a M700 VLS, I would shoot 5, but not for a lightweight hunting rifle. Will you be chronographing your loads? I don't know why I waited so long to get one, they are great.

DMCI,

That looks like a good load. I did a bit of shooting with 100 gr. NBT's/H4895, 37-39 grs. I think. Groups were alright, but not as tight as RL15, so I quite playing with it. I may give it another try when I get some 95 gr. V-Max bullets. That is one sweet looking rig I might say! [Smile]

<DMCI>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by todbartell:
I did a bit of shooting with 100 gr. NBT's/H4895, 37-39 grs. I think. Groups were alright, but not as tight as RL15, so I quite playing with it.

I tried the NOSLER 100 BALLISTIC TIP and got exactly the same result, but the Sierra Varmint HP work really well in my rifle. I'm talking 1.25" groups at 400 yards, and recoil is non-existant in a 17# rig.

Very pleasant to shoot and final on PD.

[ 02-06-2003, 13:22: Message edited by: DMCI ]

<rifleman>
posted
todbartell,

For my initial load development I've been using 3 shot groups. When I find a load I like, then I'll go to 5 or even more depending on circumstances. I've even gone up as high as a 10 shot group in my 223s. That gets challenging!

I don't have a chronograph, want one though. I've been so busy buying firearms themselves, some of the accessories have taken a back seat. I've got a Contender on hold while I renew my Permit to Purchase a Handgun. Got 2 rifles last August, puts a strain on getting extras.

Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
todbartel, Try for a good varmint load and also dropped a deer in his tracks at 271 yards this fall(13 year old daughter did that!):

100 grain Nosler BT
40.0 grains of VARGET
Fed 210Match primer
Has been very accurate out of a 260 with 24 inch barrel but have not chonographed it yet. I would figure around 3050 but not sure till I send it over the sensor!! Mild load that suits my daughter as far as recoil goes! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
GHD,

I've tried a very similar load.

----
100 gr. Nosler BT @ 2.83"
43.0 grs. Varget
CCI BR-2 match
R-P case
~
3072 fps avg (22" barrel)
----

It shot well, but RL15 was a tad better. I used the RL15 load to whack a running coyote at 70 yards this past winter. Blew a huge whole in him!

Thanks for the load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried IMR 4831,47 C grs,120 BT,in my ruger 22" barrel the other day only loaded 3 bullets to try shot group of .386@100yds.
Loaded up some more want to try that again.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote