Notify
Tools

30-338
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted
Hello All,

I just installed a 30-338 mag barrel on my Ruger #1 Big Grin and was wondering if anyone has a killer load for Elk in heavy timber. I'm thinking a 200 grainer. I will be using a reciever rear sight w/ a hooded front. The barrel is 24" w/ 1-10" twist. I've always been a conventional copper jacket/lead core type but definately would consider the new high tech solids.

Thank You for any suggestions cheers Joe

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I have a 30-338 and have good luck with IMR 4350 in the 180 & 190 gr bullets. The Barnes Triple Shock in 200 gr might be an option or a North Fork 200 gr bullet. http://www.northforkbullets.com/308-200.htm[/URL]

Either would be a good choice for you heavy timber elk hunt.

Welcome to AR and good luck on your elk hunt.

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used one extensively in Africa, and the 180 Nosler Partition has penetrated thru and thru everything I ever shot with it. I'd say that it is heavy enough. I did have one turned sideways by a finger sized tree/bush about two feet in front of an Nyala, and it cut the Nyala's throat entering side ways. I'd think about a round nose bullet for timber hunting. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I rechambered a #1-B to a 30-338 and I shoot 200 gr Nosler Partition using Accurate 3100. It shoots less than 1" 3 shot groups at 200 yards going 2950 fps.

Ruger#1 one shot=clean kill!

Posts: 6 | Location: Denver , CO | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I'll have to agree with using imr 4350. With a 180 grain over a pile of 4350, I get 3150 fps over a chrono. 5/8" 5 shot groups. No pressure problems with great brass life.
gunmaker

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1841 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote