Find
Notify
Tools

300 Rem. SAUM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hunt4ever
posted
I need a good load for deer, has anyone worked up a good one?

Posts: 129 | Location: Carroll, Ohio | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hunt4ever
posted Hide Post
Has anyone loaded for this cal. yet ?

one of us
Picture of MLC
posted Hide Post
member groundhog devastation speaks very highly of his.

Posts: 233 | Location: Solebury, PA | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hunt4ever
posted Hide Post
I wonder what he shoots in his ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Using the BARNES 180 TSX I very accurate and fast loads with the H 4350 EXT. 62.5 grains

Using the Sierra 165 HPBT I use the same load and they hit the same level on the target. Dumb luck on that. The TSX needs a little more powder than normal to get the pressures up to normal and they end up a little faster.
I loaded the Sierra bullets for practice since they are a lot cheaper.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I haven't shot mine enough, I am showing promise with both the 168 SMK and 178 AMAX. Have some 190 SMK's that I am going to try next

If you are interested in the load data let me know
Chris

one of us
Picture of hunt4ever
posted Hide Post
Yes ,Please send me the load data ,I am not having much luck with mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hunt4ever! Sorry for just now seeing this post where I was mentioned!! Now to the loading for the 300SAUM! 57-64 grains of VARGET seem to be the ticket for the 110 grain VMAXS up to and including the 168 grain Speer Gold Match bullets! My testing with the 190,200, 220 grain Match bullets didn't show me much promise but the rifles I've tested in extensively like 63-64 grains of VARGET with the 110VMAXs(64) and 63 grains behind the 125 SPEER TNT, or 125 grain Nosler BT. 150Nosler BT and 165 grain Hornadys seem to like the VARGET to the tune of 57-60 grains and the 168 Gold Matches do pretty darn good with 57.0 grains of Varget. VARGET is one tough powder to beat for vesatility!! 222-300SAUM!!! Work up to these loads in your rifle!! My first one was a SS 700 BDL like yours except for the stock and it performed exceedingly well with 57.0 grains of VARGET and the heavier bullets!! You wanta see a groundhog come "unglued"? Shoot them with the 110 VMAXS at 3600+ or the 125 Speer TNT at 3500 plus!! Talk about "devastation"!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I load for 2 identical 300 SAUMs, one is my brother's, the other a friend.

My friend took his caribou hunting this year. We polished his load as follows: Rem brass, 168 Barnes TSX, WLRM primer, and IMR 4350, recall about 62-63 grains. This rifle did NOT like Varget. By the way, he dumped his bull at 396 yards.

My brother's rifle DID like Varget. We settled on that powder for the same bullet, the Barnes 168 TSX.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, You have just entered the astounding world of rifles and reloading!!! Variations among rifles(even from the same manufacturer) can be eye opening!!!
I just got in from testing a .204 Remington vs a .204 Savage, both with 26" barrels and there was 150-180fps difference in velocity with the same loads. Maybe it's an issue with "barrel construction"(y'all go "search the net for the difference!) or maybe even "quality of employees"!! (anybody can "punch a button on a CNC machine but somebody has to know how to set it up!!!) Just a little rant!! GHD PS: For those of you who were wondering about the differences, the SAVAGE(probably due to the button rifled barrel) produced the higher velocity and the most accurrcy of this test session!!!!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundhog devastation:
Doc, You have just entered the astounding world of rifles and reloading!!!

Actually, I've been in "the world" since about 1991. I learned back then at the gun shop and from my mentors that this can happen. Case in point: Our store ordered 2 Hart bbls in 270. They were made back to back from Hart and were for 2 brothers. One had a Remington action, the other a Winchester action. Both rifles were blueprinted and fitted with custom triggers, bedded, floated, the whole nine yards. (Remember, the bbls were made back to back, and the smith used the identical reamer to cut the chamber in both).

So, when all was said and done, the brothers went to the local Tucson range to break in their new toys and sight in for their hunts for the upcoming season. They both decided on the 150 Partition, WW brass, and Fed 210M primers.

You'd think, or THEY thought, the identical loads would work in both rifles. At that time, so did I. After all, why wouldn't they?

Well, brother 1 ultimatley used Re22 (which IMO is an outstanding 270 Win powder). Brother 2 used H4831, as SC was not available back then- also a clear KING for the 270). Allegedly they broke in the new rifles identically, but when trying each others powders, the rifles printed upwards of 2" and larger at 100.

Based on this limited yet telling sample, it only stands to reason that even factory rifles can be dramatically different.

That was my first eye opener. When I quized the riflesmith about it, he said even when all components are identical, the same $%&* can happen. I'm figuring it was the subtle changes in bedding, etc.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns