New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm-223
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any others out there using this cartridge.

I have found the best load for my 14" contender is 25.0 grains of H322 with Speer 80gr spitzer and Remington 7-1/2 benchrest primers.

I have taken whitetails from 40 yards to 225 with this load and also turkey from 125 to 275 yards.

When I visit the range regularly, I can keep this load shooting 1/2 inch and below consistently.

Any one else?

Hal

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was allowed to turkey hunt with a rifle I might actually kill one.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO, In Texas turkeys are a whole lot easier to kill than deer. They are just plain dumb. I have killed one gobbler at 10 yards with a bow and no telling how many with a shot gun at less than 40 yards during the regular hunting season when calling them doesn't do much good.

I will be going spring hunting this next weekend with my contender in 22 hornet. I imagine I will have one shortly after sun up. We really have a good population here in central Texas. But the one I want and will be looking for is in a group of three and all three have between 12 & 14" beards.

Good luck in your hunting,

HBL

Posts: 135 | Location: San Antonio, Tx | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I prefer H335 and the Rem 71/2s under the Sierra 80 grain SIngle Shot Pistol. A max load of 27 grains clocked 2740 fps in a 14" XP; 26.5 grains gave 2697 fps in a 15" VVCG Contender barrel. Accuracy is always phenomenal with the little 6mm-.223 (6x45), and the Sierra bullet works extremely well on everything from vermin & varmints to small deer or exotics.

Posts: 9355 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HBL:

I don't know why this round is not factory loaded. With bullets up to 85 grains or so on the top end, this makes a very efficient cartridge for the 223 case.

This and the 7.62 x 39 are at the top of my list for just a good walk around small to medium game rifle.

Have been looking for a Winchester Ranger in 223 to rebarrel,,but they quite making them. And I don't want to cannabalize my Featherweight in 223 since it is so accurate. That rifle with a 70 grain Speer SSP has taken several deer with one shot. They stumble about 10 yds and are down. An 80 grainer would be just about right, or the 75 grain Hornady HP. [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have gone to straight 80gr speer bullets in mine. Probably the most accurate bullet I have used is the sierra 60gr hollow point. Very explosive and will bore a clover leaf with 10 shots at 100 yds. That's my jack rabbit bullet.

Everything else, the 80 grain bullet has never failed me.

[ 06-07-2003, 01:06: Message edited by: HBL ]

<JBelk>
posted
I shoot a wildcat version of the 6x45 I call the "Cheapshot". It uses 223 brass but with the front end dimensions of the 6x47.

I shoot a case full of Re7 with 55 gr. Nosler BTs for furry animals and 34 gr of H-322 and a Barnes 75gr. X for those with hooves.

I have two Cheapshots with BR necks in light walk around rifles. They're my "go to" guns. Case life is 'too long to remember' and accuracy is best described as "nipple picker" on three finger-size groundsquirrels.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Jack-
THe wildcat sounds interesting, but I must ask: are you certain you're getting 34 grains of H322 in that case (and firing it without harm)? I'm thinking it may be a typo and you meant 24 instead.

Posts: 9355 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I meant to add that I have found nothing that performs better than the 80 grain Sierra Single Shot Pistol bullet. I've gone through a handful of 6mm-.223s and a few 6 TCUs as well, and I keep coming back to the same bullet. At the velocity level the little cartridge develops, the SSP penetrates extremely well and negates the need for any premiums. I use it on everything the mini-sixes are capable of handling, and though it may not be as spectacular as the Hornady 70 grain SXSP or the BlitzKing on small varmints, it still gets the job done with great efficiency. The 80 grain Blitz Varminter does nearly as well; the 80 grain Speer does well but is slightly "tougher," although on deer, it performs quite reliably. And in test medium, it always provides the most classic mushroom shape -- textbook perfect, if you will.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HBL:
Any others out there using this cartridge.

I shoot a Savage 24v 6x45mm/20 gauge, can only fit about 25 grains of H322 or H335 in it. Bullets are 85 grain Noslers, primers are CCI match ( not that it has much effect on accuracy in a 24V ).

Tom

Posts: 14407 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBelk: can you expand a little on the "Cheapshot"? I have a 6X47 and am concerned about brass availability. Can I fireform 6X47 rounds using 223 brass and seating the bullet to touch the lands? thanks Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Thanks for pointing out the typo--- TWENTY-FOUR grains of H-322 behind a 75 gr X bullet is the deer/antelope load for the Cheapshot.

olarmy--

You can make a Cheapshot of your 6x47 by setting the barrel back .093 and cutting the same amount from the bottom of your dies. Then 223 brass can be used instead of the increasingly scarce 222 Rem Mag.

That's the basis of the name "Cheapshot". I started doing them because I had all the BR tools and gear from my 6x47 BR days and wanted to take advantage of plentiful and VERY cheap 223 brass.