New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Win. 140gr Barnes TSX
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I shot a nice group 0.35" @ 100 yds. today with my 270 win and barnes 140 gr TSX bullets. Win. case, WLR, H4831sc 57 grs., COL 3.21" crimped in top groove, speed 2850 ft/sec. The 56gr. charge gave a 0.6" group, the 58, 59 & 60 gr. charges were 1.25, 1" & 1.9"respectively.

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
what rifle you use?
Need to find a load for my mod70 in 270.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My rifle is a Browning Stainless Stalker, I have a Burris 3x9 scope on it. It shoots most ammo very well. It shoots the Hornady SST bullet excellent and speer 150 gr. gland slams bullets too, among many others. I think if you use H4831sc in a 270 you can't miss with any bullet in the 130 to 150 weight range. I load 56 to 60 gr. of powder in 1 gr. increments w the 140 gr bullet and see what goups best.

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
That's very similar to my load. Only difference is RP brass, powder charge 54.5 gr, and COL is 3.375. That gives me .4-.5 inch groups consistently.

Only problem is that once my powder charge gets up to around 57gr, I have pressure signs. I'm going to try using Win. brass as suggested by Doc in another thread. Hopefully that will let me get some higher velocities.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a rifle is that sensitive to a change in powder charge, what will it do with a change in temprature?

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A "hot" load tuned in outdoors during winter up here can turn mean in summer. Not Lower Mainland and the Island so much, but anywhere in real winter country.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,

I recently purchased some TSX 130's for my .270 and have had trouble getting under 2.5" groups @ 100 yards. I am new to reloading and wonder if it is best to try playing with powder weights or seating depths first?

God Bless,

Corey

www.wwcj.com

Read your King James Bible every day!

Posts: 32 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada. | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
I use 59gr of H4831SC, Fed match 210, Norma brass, 140gr TSX and get 3000 fps. Groups around 1/2in.

My rifle is a win mod 70 with a 24in Krieger barrel. The barrel twist is different than on my other 270, which likes 130gr bullets (56gr IMR 4831, Fed match 210, RWS, 130gr TSX).

I am not a groups man (gets too hot in texas during the summer), this rifle will group under 1/2in. However, the POI in a cold barrel is ALWAYS exactly on the vertical line above the bullseye, exactly 2in high. If I had the time and weather conditions to do a 5 string, cold barrel POI, this load will be under 1/4in, no doubt about it.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1432 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I was wondering if I should play with powder weights first or seating depth.

Ran out of my 210 Match primers and been using these CCI's. Perhaps that is part of the problem.

God Bless,

Corey

www.wwcj.com

Read your King James Bible every day!

Posts: 32 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada. | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan
posted Hide Post
Infaith, thanks for your information. I also use the 130grainers TSX. Sometimes I get really nice little groups, sometimes I get mediocre accuracy. I don't know why, I think I'm the main factor myself. I clean my barrel with Forrest foam.
I use a 'customed' Remington Sendero .270 Win, Jewell trigger, Swarovski fixed focus 6x, heavy Lothar Walther barrel, CCI br primers, RWS brass, H4831sc 59.5 grains, vel. @ 3112 fps (muzzle).
You have to find out your best charge (PW) first and than play with seating the bullets. My best seating seems to be @ 0.063" off lands.
I used the Audette test, go to:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2511043/m/571104925
Nice day,
Jan.

Posts: 113 | Location: Terschelling, the Netherlands | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote