Find
Notify
Tools

Powder suggestions???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted
I am developing loads for my .270 Win using 130gr CT Ballistic Silvertips, and 140gr TSX. I have been using H4831SC, and managed to get consistent .5 inch groups with 53gr and the TSX. I have gotten really good results from that, but am also looking at trying other powders. Money is tight, so I'm limited to trying maybe two other powders for the time being. Here's what I'm looking at getting.

H4350
H1000
Varget???
IMR4350
IMR4831
RE19
RE22
AA3100

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
steelslinger if you are getting .5 groups with a sporter you will be wasting money to improve on it.

I get good results with IMR-4350 and H-4831.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like Accurate 3100 in my BDL... I get chrono'd 3150 out of a 130 GS using 61 grains of AA 3100, but my rifle is throated extremely long. That is NOT a recommended load for you, but it shoots to one hole in my rifle. (And Accurate/Western recommends standard primers with all their powders.)

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
SteelSlinger

Are you getting about 2700-2750 fps?

Are you lookong for more velocity with the same type of accuracy that you get now?
If you have a chrono it will tell you alot.

I shoot 56.5 grains of IMR-4350 from a 22" barrel and get an average of 3087 fps with a 130 grain winchester power point.
This is a warm load but not to hot for my rifle.

I have not shot the tsx, could be you are as fast? anyhow if you get top velocity from a bullet that shoots that well I would not change a thing.Check your preasure signs.Some times a hot load can be accurate as a warm one.

If this is a hunting rifle and you kick up the velocity a bit and it opens up to a .75 group in the field you will never know it. wave

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I don't know what my velocity is. A chrono is on my to get list. I really think that my TSX load is lacking, cause it is about .25 inch low at 100 (rifle not zeroed), and drops about 5 1/2 or so inches by 200. I plan on working up some hotter loads and see what that does for my tragectory, but for now, your guess is as good as mine when it comes to my velocity.

If anything, I found a great reduced/short range load for the ladies and the younguns. I really need to save up the cash for a chrono.

It is just a hunting rifle, so anything under an inch is great, and would be fine, but I still want to play around and see just what kind of long range accuracy I can get out of it. When I finally get to make a trip back home, I can set up targets as far out as I want on my family's farm. I really want to see what I can get my factory rifle to do out at 6 or 700 yds, or further, just for kicks. I'm also gonna work up some match king loads for that. Who knows, maybe it will be good enough to enter some factory class rifle competitions one of these days.

I've been amazed with how well my factory M700 shoots, and I really want to see just what it is really capable of doing.

So that's why I'm trying to find out what the best powder for this caliber is. I'm really starting to lean toward trying IMR4350, and RE22.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think your best performance will come with your slower burning powders. I'd try Re22 (57-58 grs max) and Re19 (55 to 56 grs max).

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for more velocity with decent accuracy, I would suggest trying either Reloder 22 or Accurate Magpro. Reloder 22 usually shows the highest velocity in loading manuals, and Accurate shows the new ball type Magpro powder to produce the highest velocity of their powders. I have a pound of Magpro to try in my .270WSM but haven't loaded it yet. It is reputed to be one of the powders for the .270 WSM, and apparently works well in the standard .270 Winchester as well.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
IMR-4350 at 400 yards - enough said!

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steelslinger,

Work up a load with the powder that you have. It's just fine for the 270 and those bullets. What will waste money is buying something that you don't use and the 4831 sc works so far.

Not sure what is suggested for that Barnes bullet but the Sierra manual shows that more than 53 grs of 4831 can be used with conventional bullets.

What does your data show as the maximum load?

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
S S

My Nosler #5 manual shows 58 grains H4831 as the Max load. It also shows IMR4831 as the "Most Accurate Powder Tested". I have found that to be the case in my rifle.

IMR4350 does shoot pretty good though

I'll probably get some flak for this, but this is my hunting load with 140 TSX, it is hot and I don't shoot it during the summer (I can see the heads shaking now)

In my defense, I have shot at least 100 of these loads with no pressure signs other than velocity

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cal 30 1906 said it right ,try and get some more 4831 in same batch # if possible and stick with it. you can not expect any better I have tryed them all at it to me is the best.

Posts: 38 | Location: Ottawa canada | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody. I have decided to just stick with the H4831SC for now. I have some Re 19 on the bench for a buddy's 7-08. I may work up a load with that one of these days.