Find
Notify
Tools

2506,100gr.,partition and these powders
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
My order of 100gr. XLC was screwed up again so I said to hell with it. I ordered 100gr. partitions now and was looking to see what you blokes think.

At this present moment the wallet is skinny so heres what I have to work with. Feel free to add some other products but I'll have to wait to experiment with it later.

I have these powders to use. RL22, IMR4831, IMR4350, RL19.

I have these primers to use. WIN WLR, WIN WLR M, FED 210, FED215, I can afford to buy prim. so I'm oppen for ideas.

I have Fed brass and I have Win. nickel plate.

I plan on working up to book max from the Nosler man.

My rifle is A-bolt 2506, 22" barrel.

So lets hear it.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would try the IMR 4831. Work up of course. Will probably top out around 54 grns. Fed 215 primers. This is the load I use and have seen others list using it with 100rn bullets. Very accurate in my 700 ss/syn DM. I just got my 100gr xlc's today and really hope I can get them to shoot. I've loaded GS Custom HV's (100grn) in the past in front of 57grns of Imr 4831. Loved the load and bullet but refuse to try and buy more till they get a US dealer. when they do give'em a try. The partition will make a real good, flat deer slayer
STeve

Posts: 81 | Location: nebr. usa | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You ask what we think, I think you got lucky! I would not trade you one box of Nosler Partitions for 5 boxes of those Barnes X bullets.

But then, that was not the question.

All I can tell you is that I load 54 grains of IMR 4831 behind the 100 grain Partition and use a Federal 210 primer in my 25-06 Remington.

In my rifle this load gives 3400 fps and is pure death on every thing I have pointed it at so far.
My dad and I have shot a truck load of wild hogs with the 100 grain Partition and have had good luck. Last fall a 100 grain Partition did a number on an antelope in Wyoming for me.

So don't fret over the Barnes, just try the Nosler Partitions, I think you will be happy with them.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Flowers... If I could afford it I'd try every thing available but I think I'll start with those loads you guys posted.

Yesterday I tested loads of those four powders I listed with 115gr partitions and the RL22 gave me 1" and the 4350 gave 1 1/4". The other two werent worth mentioning.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1" groups with RL-22 can be tighter with a little
tune-up. Try reloading 3 each with the same RL-22
in 0.5gr increments from 48.5 - 52.5gr. Seat all
bullets 0.020" off the lands and fire each 3 at
different targets so you can find the best group
and best powder charge for your rifle. It works
for me in my A-bolt in 7mm rem mag and don't let
anyone fool you about A-bolt accuracy. I get 1/2"
groups with 140gr Partitions at 100yds and if you
take your time you should get that or better. Hope
this helps. Good shootin!BLR7 [Cool]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Thunderstick>
posted
Try RL22 with either a Rem. 9 1/2 or F-210 primer and take the weight charges up to 58 grains (Speer manual max). I shoot 58 grains with no pressure problems and get 3460 fps in a 26" barrel with .5 MOA for accuracy. RL22 gives best accuracy at or near max loads.