THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FAVORITE LOADS FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with a Speer Manual: .375 H&H load?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you happen to have a Speer reloading manual, could I trouble you to look up a load for the .375 H&H with the Speer 285 grain bullet? What is the start and max charge with Winchester 760? The velocity shown for the max charge would help also. Thanks much.

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speer #13 says 83.0 grains to start, 85.0 grains max (compressed) for their 285-grain Grand Slam. Velocities are 2617 fps to 2658 fps. (Primer used was a CCI 250, and the cases were Winchester.)

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubless: Thanks much, I appreciate your help. (I had heard that Speer listed 85 grains as max for that bullet; but wow, that seems like a lot of W760. Winchester's manual lists 77.5 grains as max with both 270-grain and 300-grain bullets. If Speer tested it, though, I am sure it is OK if one works up to 85 grains carefully from below.)

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am kind of surprised st your response. I always felt Speer was rather timid when it came to loading data.

Glad to be of help. Best of luck to you, hope it shoots ligbts out!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
I am kind of surprised st your response. I always felt Speer was rather timid when it came to loading data.!

Oh no!!! Maybe now but not always. In fact just the oposite. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, Roger, you are absolutely right. I remember hearing from a fellow shooter about an earlier manual (one I never loaded from). His caution was not to use it, as the load data WAS pretty hot...

My previous statement was stupid. Thanks for the correction.