New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 winchester pet load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a m70 winchester with 24" sporter weight barrel. I mounted a Burris 3-9x40 Signature posi lock on it and bedded in a Brown Precision High Country Classic stock.

It shoots 150 grain Federal Fusion to 1/2 minute of angle but my pet load is:

150gr. Nosler BT
Rem once fired brass with uniformed flash hole.
Remington 9 1/2 magnum primer
56.5 grains of H4831SC
Seated to 3.345"
Vel. 2950-2975 fps.

This load will put 5 shots under a dime at 100 yards and the 150 BT is equally effective on game. It has accounted for many one shot kills over a 15 year period.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a few .270's over the years and had very good results with 130 gr. Sierra, Hornady, Nosler Part, and for about the last 8 or 9 years the Barnes TSX.

I started hand loading long ago with surplus 4831, when you could buy it for about $3 a lb. and never had much to complain about, as long as I was having a good day at the bench, the 3 shot groups with any of the bullets were about an inch.

Awhile back I discovered RL22, and it has become my standard load for the .270....60 grs. in a Win case, CCI primer, the Barnes 130 TSX, and in my rifle, an old M70, it's a little over 3100 fps thru the chrony. It shoots about 3/4 inch and kills mulies, blacktails, and hogs QUICK!

I shoot a number of different cartridges, but can't say I've found any that works better than this combination.

Ed

Posts: 683 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what mine likes:
130gr Hornady SP,55.5grs of IMR-4350,Winchester LRP.I blew it on the fourth shot!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40165144@N04/3692318592/

Posts: 359 | Location: Corpus Christi,Texas | Registered: 19 April 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Why all the emphasis on 100 yard groups? I could go along with it if we were evaluating loads for a 30-30 or 44WCF. But I was always under the impression that a .270 Winchester was expected to perform at 300+ yards. What I've found is that loads that look promising at 100 yards all too often are alarmingly disappointing at 300 yards. My best loads at 100 yards won't keep 5 shots under 12 inches at 300 yards. However I've got one recipe that will only do an inch-and-a-half for 5 shots at 100 yards yet regularly will keep them in 2-1/2" or less at 300 yards. There are a lot of changes in bullet stability that occur between 100 and 300 yards. Oh, and my pet load? Well first let me disclaim any responsibility for it's safety or lack thereof in any other rifle but mine; for it is a pretty hot load that probably would be over-pressure in some rifles. My rifle: Winchester Model 70 Classic Sporter in .270 Winchester with 24" barrel. Pet Load: Nosler 150 grain Partition, Federal cases, CCI-200 primers, 58.0 grains Norma N-205, C.O.A.L. is 3.390" Which is .010" less than the magazine allows but functions more reliably than 3.400". Velocity runs right about 3,000 fps on a warm day. I've run this load at 59.0 grains with equal accuracy but primer pockets got loose after two firings so I settled on 58.0 grains since accuracy was the same. Norma N-205 hasn't been made for I think over 30 years. I got mine at a gun show. I kick myself now for not buying all of it. I got some Norma MRP which is supposed to be a more consistent replacement for N-205 but I haven't got around to trying it yet. I would encourage y'all to abandon 100 yard evaluations in favor of 300 yards for proving what's a good load in your .270's. It will definately be an eye-opener. Good luck and safe shooting.

Posts: 2 | Location: United States | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Pathfinder45 as I have been shooting great groups lately with a .270 and a .280 at 100m only to get 3" groups on average at 200m.. Kind of frustrating to say the least!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never experienced that kind of issue. If I am getting sub minute of angle at 100 it translates out to 300 with proportionate loss. If you are not getting accuracy past 100 yards or the group opens unpredictably than the issue is likely in the conditions.

I can see if the bullet is out of balance or your twist is not stabilizing the bullet in which case you could get greater deviation at distance.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For all of those who claim 3" 100 yard groups that are 1" groups at 300 yards BS. Check out
newtons laws of motion. Also read the article
fron precision magazine refering to the houston
warehouse. You can't defy the laws of physics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with pathfinder, I've tested many loads that gave sub-moa groups at 100 yds. that averaged 7-9" at 300 yds. To assume that 1" at 100 yds. equates to 3" at 300 yards is an error frequently made by people with very little experience shooting at 300+ yds. The only way to tell how your rifle will group at 300 yds, is to shoot it at 300 yds. PS. When I shoot groups at 300 and more yards I always take a rifle with me of known ability so I can test conditions if desired.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B-22250:
For all of those who claim 3" 100 yard groups that are 1" groups at 300 yards BS. Check out
newtons laws of motion. Also read the article
Freon precision magazine refering to the houston
warehouse. You can't defy the laws of physics.

b78-22250,
I don't see were anybody here is claiming what you say..
My frustration stemmed from the fact that my 270 & friends 280 were shooting close to 1/2" at 100 meters and 3"+ at 200 meters..
After doing more case prep I finally did get both the .270 and the .280 to shot under 2" at 200 meters..
Both these rifles are Remington 700's with Mt. contour barrels..
I am happy for now but can't wait for spring to see what they'll do at 300 meters..
BTW, I read that Houston Warehouse article back in the late 90' IIRC..
Is your B78 22-250 an original?
I installed a Canjar single set on mine..
What a pain that was!!

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
My pet load.....HORNADY 130 gr. light magnums tu2

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pathfinder45: It wonderful that you have a range that you can shoot at over 100yrs but in the real world 90% of the people are stuck with a range that is only 100yrds or less.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen several hunters in the past few decades that went out to the West looking for mule deer, antelope and elk as well. Them carrying their rifle with a pet load that shoots under 1-MOA at 100 yards, only to find out later at 300 or 400 yards they could not connect in the vitals of that animal.

It often as not pays to try that rifle at 200 and 300 yards before you decide on a particular load to hunt with, especially when you know the range can go out passed 200 yards.

Posts: 334 | Location: America | Registered: 23 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess no one will concede that when you go past 100 yards a lot depends on the conditions, optics, and most important---shooter ability.
Sounds like it is always a problem with "the load".

Posts: 52 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Dog:
I have seen several hunters in the past few decades that went out to the West looking for mule deer, antelope and elk as well. Them carrying their rifle with a pet load that shoots under 1-MOA at 100 yards, only to find out later at 300 or 400 yards they could not connect in the vitals of that animal.

It often as not pays to try that rifle at 200 and 300 yards before you decide on a particular load to hunt with, especially when you know the range can go out passed 200 yards.

I have found myself to be the problem past 250 yds. I cannot see well enough to hold the rifle well enough to execute the shot. I just switched to some higher magnification scopes to see if that helps.

Right now, I am safe shooting to 250 yards but beyond that, I am a bit questionable.

Posts: 10207 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
130gr Sierra Gameking/Matchking or Nosler Partition over 59.5gr of H4831sc.
Velocity just over 3,000fps & consistently shoots 1½" 5 shot groups at 200yds.
I'll see how well it shoots at double that distance come November.
Oh, I forgot: the rifle's one of those nasty Rugers. Big Grin

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting IMR4831 and a 130 Ballistic Tip, in my 26" 270 Sendero. Most 100 yard 3 shoot groups all touch, if not, it's the shooter, usually me. As to this load grouping at longer ranges, I use it to shoot prairie dogs in the wind out at 500yds. Works real well, for if I miss, it is poor wind doping.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote