THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FAVORITE LOADS FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: If you could only use one pistol powder, which one would it be?
 Login/Join

posted
My vote for .357 mag. would be H110--15.5 gr.with Hornady 158 gr. XTP.... You will be shoot'in dimes at 50 yards!

Posts: 24 | Location: indiana | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Well, I have to vote Unique also. Yes it is dirty, but if you shoot, you have to clean, no matter what powder you use.

Unique fills the case nicely, while giving manageble recoil and desired velocities. I use it in my .357 with caste and Jacketed loads, and in my .40 S&W with Jacketed loads. I also use it for Shotgun shells - trap and med. hunting loads.

I have had no metering problem using the Lee Perfect Powder Measure or with my Mec 600 Jr. I cannot tell you how it works in progressive reloaders, I'm still a single stage kind of guy for rifle and pistol reloading.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am partial to Blue Dot. I've gotten excellent results in .38 Special (normal, +P, and "Psycho Special" loadings), 9mm Luger, .40 S&W, .44 Magnum, and .45 ACP. The only real downsides it has are heavier charges due to its slow-burning nature, and a pretty bright muzzle flash in dim lighting. I found it to be reasonably clean in higher-pressure rounds like the 9, .40, and .44. It seemed a touch dirtier (but not objectionably so) in the .38 until I cranked the power level up to near .357 levels.

If ALL I loaded were low-pressure rounds, like (proper pressure) .38s, .45 ACP/Colt, then my nod would go to Red Dot. It's faster, clean, and meters reasonably well. It's also more economical, as you only need a small charge of it as opposed to nearly full cases as you do with Blue Dot.

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
2400 in my 357 mag 44 mag and 454

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just can't do it...but if I had too I'd pick unique if it was'nt so dirty. This is'nt a fair question. There is powder I have'nt tried yet.
Third vote for Universal Clays

Posts: 133 | Location: Bothell,Wash | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote