Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTF:pet loads for the .223....
 Login/Join

posted
Just looked through 3 pages of .223 loads and couldn't really find what I was looking for.... I have manuals but I was just wondering what everyone else was using. Looking for data for the sierra matchking 52hpbt or other br bullets in the same configuration. 40 and 50 grain blitzkings or vmax data as well. They are going to be shot through a 26" hart 1-14" twist. I've tried the 55's to no avail. I can't attain enough velocity with the 55's to get them to stabilize.

Big Fish Happen...
Courtest BAS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 25 H335 with a Sierra 52 Match in LC cases. They consistently shoot 5 into the .3's.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot literally thousands of varmints with the .223 Remington when loaded with 28 grains of H335 behind a 40 grain V-Max. This load is quite accurate and is devastating on varmints.

Recently though, I have wanted a little more bullet weight when shooting coyotes and have switched to the 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip over 24.5 grains of N130 for an all around load.

In fact, the Vihtavuori powders are finding lots of use for accuracy loads. For the 52 grain Sierra HPBT Vihtavuori shows 24 grains of N 130 as a maximum load. They show a maximum load of 25.8 grains of N 133, and a maximum load of 27 grains of N 135 in the .223 Rem.

Hope this helps, R F

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the 28 gr of H-335 with a 40 gr V-Max or Ballistic Tip. I use 27 gr of H-335 under a 50 gr Speer TNT, V-Max or Ballistic Tip. The powder has been consistently great in almost every .223 I have tried it in.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like 28 grains of 748 under a 40 grain V-MAX. Works great in mt Ruger 1-V (1 in 12 twist).
Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live."

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info everyone... I have h335, h322, benchmark and some vv135 to start with... Hopefully I can find something that will work for me.

Big Fish Happen...
Courtest BAS

posted Hide Post
Looks like h322 was the winner today. The benchmark showed some promise but wasn't quite as consistent.. I had four seperate groups with the h322 and two different loads that were a grain apart and both shot identically in the .2's.

Big Fish Happen...
Courtest BAS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for 40 gr BT's with 27.5 gr. H335...I get a teeny bit better accuracy backing off from 28 grains and figure it doesn't hurt to not max out when shooting many rounds at Pdogs..

The two most abundant elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluedot
posted Hide Post
I have had very good luck with benchmark in my cooper and contender. With 52 hpbt matchkings I start at 25.0 gr and work up, both of my 223s seems to hit an accuracy peak at 25.5 gr and hold it up until 26.0 gr. I find that BR4 primers work well with benchmark

3-7-77