Tools

260 Remington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for a good flat shooting load?

Nosler Ballistic Tip: 100 grains
Case: Winchester 7/08 necked down
Rifle: Ruger 77 Mk2 Stainless with Laminated Boyd's JRS Stock ( gray)
Scope: Leupold 3 x 9 with Leupold Dot Reticle
Primer: Fed 210
Powder: IMR 4064, 43.5 grains
Velocity: 3350

Too fast and does too much damage on deer, even big ones.

For deer substitute: 100 grain Nosler Partition

My favorite tho is ( living in Oregon and picking it up at the Nosler factory as seconds, meant for the European Market)
Partition 105 gr Semi Pointed.

In all of my testing I have never seen a bullet go thru an 8 inch hardwood branch like this one did. Cut thru like a chain saw, that is why I love Round Nose or SemiPointed designs.

After seeing the damage done to a deer at 300 plus yards this past year with the ballistic tip, (I watched the deer drop in my scope), I will use this bullet ( 105 gr partition) until all are gone.
Bought 300 of them so that ought to last me a few deers seasons.

This makes the 260 compete with a 25/06 or 257 Weatherby any day of the week using 100 grain bullets. these velocities are also listed in the Nosler manual with other powders. Accuracy is superb! Used the ballistic tip load taking prairie dogs/ground squirrels at 300 yds pretty consistently.

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I've tried the following:

100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip
43.0 grs. Varget
CCI BR-2
R-P case
~
3072 fps avg. out of my 22" mtn. rifle.

Blew a good sized exit hole in a coyote last winter. I'd imagine it would tear up a deer pretty good. I've got some 100 gr. Barnes X's to try this summer. Should hold together well, and shoot flat.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote