New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 load w/150gr Partition
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I don't reload, but I have a friend who has reloaded for both rifles and pistols for years. He would be glad to load some 270 cartridges for me if I purchase the bullets and supply the empty cases. Can anyone recommend a favorite load for a 150gr Nosler Partition? One that has proved accurate in their rifle and has sufficient speed.
Thanks.

Posts: 51 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 05 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just developed one with Reloder 22 powder. At near max for the Nosler book I get 2900 FPS over a crony from a 24" barrel. Get 3/4" 100 yds groups from a bench when I do my part. Some times better, never worse than 1.25"
You really need to start low with the powder and work up. No two guns are the same. H 4831 worked well also at near max.

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trigger,
Thank you Sir. Would you suggest loading perhaps 6 rds with 19grs of RL22 (for instance), then another 6 with 20grs, then another 6 with 21 grs to determine the most accurate? If I have my friend start with a specific weight of powder, what would that starting amount (weight) be?
Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't take my word for it, I can barely type, look at the Nosler Reloading guide. Better yet, read all the how to info in the front of the book. I hope your reloading friend has several reloading manuals. Otherwise alarm bells should be going off in you head.

I normally load 3 or each in 1 grain increments for the 270 Win. Also, you need to be able to, or have someone with you that can read the many high pressure signs when you try the laods. Shooting over a chrony and watching the velocity change per powder increase is one of the best ways to look for pressure.

Given that disclaimer ----
Nosler Reloading Guide Number 5 suggests a starting load of
52.5 Grains and a max load of 56.5 with Reloder 22 for the 270 Winchester with Nolser 150 grain bullets.

The same source and cartridge with 150 grain bullets
and H4831 powder list starting at 51 grains and max at 55 grains.

Not every one observes the Max, but I do.

Here is another good web site with loading data
http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
In my Remington Model 700, 56 grains of IMR 4831 behind the 150-grain Nosler Partition proved to be the most accurate with 0.5" groups at 100 yards at a velocity of around 2920 fps.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to those who responded. Would also welcome other suggestions.
Regards,