New
Find
Notify
Tools

FAvorite 7mm TCU loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I loaded my first 100 rounds with 24 grains of 748 to fireform the brass. The accuracy was unimpressive. A couple guys thought that perhaps the bullets weren't going fast enough to properly stabilize them. Now I'm ready to make full power loads. Anybody got any suggestions about loads for target shooting? Accuracy at 50-150 yards is my first priority - not concerned about expansion and terminal performance. Any suggestions about how to size the brass? Thanks.

Posts: 135 | Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, first things first. When I resize my 7mmTCU brass I use an RCBS full length sizer, but just do not screw it down all the way. The way I set mine up is to put a washer about the thickness of a nickel on top of the shell holder. I then run the ram all the way to the top. Then I screw the die down until it is hard against said washer. I tighten my lock ring on the die and am all set. After removing the washer I just size the cases. This gives plenty of neck tension but you certainly will never set the shoulder back. The TCU cartidges are sensitive in this regard, over resizing leads to poor accuracy and short case life.

I shoot IHMSA and NRA silhouette competition and have tried several loads in a couple of 10 and 14 inch barrels. A couple that work well for me are:

26 grains of H 4895 behind a 154 Hornady SP

22 grains of N 130 behind a 150 Sierra Matchking

Both these loads are perfectly safe in my TC Contender barrels, but you should start a grain or two lower and work up. Both these loads give velocities of around 1750 fps in the 10 inch barrel and about 1900 in the 14 inch version.

Hope this helps, R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote