THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FAVORITE LOADS FORUM

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 and Varget? 150 grainers... maybe?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I haven't tried it, but if you have, what bullet weight / powder charge / brass / primer combination worked for you...? I'm leaning toward a 150... just for smiles.

Posts: 42 | Location: PA | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunting1
posted Hide Post
I use Varget for 223, 7-08, 06, and 45-70. I think it is awsome. I have not loaded 150's, but 165 it works very accurate. If you like email me and I can give the data from the manual. Good luck!

Posts: 90 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
47 Varget 150 Nosler BT Win case......CCI BR primer= just under MOA= lots of dead deer. Use the same load over a Partition and going to try it out this fall. Thats a mild load but I've killed them a long way the last two seasons with it. Real 190 yard measured shots. Bucks fell down dead. The partitions group very well in my rifle with this load also. My '06 has a 22 inch barrel and so I think a faster powder is good in my case (pun intended). The above load is very effective on the whitetails here in Kentucky. If your looking for a mild effective load try the 125 Noslers and 41 gr of H4895. Pure death on deer and very easy on the shooter. Your '06 will be fun again and that combo is so much more effective in my experiance than any of the .243/.224 bullets I've tired its just the logical choice. Good luck and the '06 is just a great cartridge. If they introduced it tommorrow the gun rags would rave about how great it was! LOL FN Mauser

Posts: 170 | Location: Kentucky U.S.A. " The land that is dark with blood" | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to try Varget
51gr-150bullet-2975fps-50100cup
50gr-165bullet-2873fps-49700cup
Win Brass-Winchester LR primer

one of us
posted Hide Post
This '06 was my Dad's rifle... an old Mark X that's been quite a shooter. My Dad's a big fellow, 300 pounds who always threw the heavy projectiles. I'm 100 pounds lighter and never was much fun after shooting 10 or so of his pet loads. The gun is now mine and I'm hoping that the 150's fly well. I've been a 130 grain .270 shooter since an old M98 came to me via Dad at age 14. My son turned twelve this year and needs Dad to give him that rifle. I gave him that rifle. My suspicions are that the 150's out of the '06 will resemble the 130's out of my old .270. I'm also glad to see Varget makes the suggestion list, as I've found a load for my wife's 7mm-08 that tears a clover. I'll try to get some results posted in a week or sooner, if the rain ever lets up here. Thanks... stay safe and good shooting.

Posts: 42 | Location: PA | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote