Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 Speer BTSP 100g. loads
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to know if it is wise to go beyond the max loads for theese bullets. I use Viht. N 160. In the Speer reloaders manual the speed for this bullet lies around 2766 fts/sec but i would like to get around 3000 fts/sec, by using 40-42g powder.

Hope you can help me.

Gunblond

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
what rifle are you using?
what is the length of the barrel?
start at couple grains under max and work up check close for pressure signs.
with a 26" barrel and 42grains you will probably be close?
you can get away with over loading the 243 for a while BUT I have seen a few remingtons that gave up, with brass extruded back around the bolt.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
You might want to try other powders.

I'm using IMR-7828ssc to push Berger 105s to 2900. This is where my 1-8 twist is findin accuracy.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safely increasing chamber pressures depends on your rifle and your brass, not the bullet.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunblond, Did you try and cross referance that load with another loading book. Look at the other listings, then make the move to go up or not. What does the Viht. book list?. The Speer manual lists A Max of 40gr. of H-414 for the 243. Win. and A 100gr. bullet, but mine is 43.0,and that is in the Hodgdon manual 26th., And that is to hot for some other rifles that I have. there all A bit differant

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Swamp_Fox:
You might want to try other powders.

I'm using IMR-7828ssc to push Berger 105s to 2900. This is where my 1-8 twist is findin accuracy.

Swamp_Fox,

How does the 7828 SSC meter for you? Is that a max load you're shooting?

Reason I ask is that I'm getting 3230 out of my Stevens with a factory varmint barrel with 105 Amax and 48.3 Retumbo.

It's an accurate load(in the .3s 5 shot groups) but the Retumbo doesn't meter so well for me.

Posts: 28 | Location: Wherever I find myself | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunblond,

You've got some good pointers here already.

I tried both VV N160 & VV N560 - worked up to maximum loads and went a little beyond but neither would push 100 grain bullets in a .243 Winchester to 3,000 fps; that in a 22.6" barrel (57.5 cm).

The only way I could get over 3,000 fps with these two powders in my rifle was when I switched to the 85 gr. Nosler Partition.

I DO NOT have any experinece with IMR 7828ssc but others I know who load .243 Winchester using it claim that it a pretty good powder for 3,000 fps loads with 100 gr. bullets in the .243 Winchester.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try them with 36.5gr of IMR-4064. You won't need to go any further.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the SIERRA 100gr BTSP which looks very similar re shape bearing surface etc and has the same BC. With a 26" barrel and IMR 7828 I can get 3,100fps with 45gr and 3,000fps and accuracy with 44gr.

BUT Speer are pretty insistant not to use other bullets data for their bullets and even to stick to the data for that particular bullet as they noticed considerable differences in pressure between the BTSP, the 100gr grand slam and the 105gr hot core.

Best velocities are likely to be from VVN560 and RL22. VVN160 is a great powder but doesn't seem to give the highest velocities in 243.

I would not push the Speer data - it's pretty hot as it is.

243 data is pretty confusing. I cross referance between hornady, speer, nosler and vihtavuori. Hornady is quite soft, speer is good but confusing for the 100gr bullets, nosler is optimistic in velocity but about right on charge weights and lawyers haven't got to Finland because the viht loads (especialy for 87gr are about 3gr over the others max for N160....

COTW mentions that the 243 has a reputation for pressure excursions/spikes. It's not a round I would load hot myself.