Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 9MM accurate pistol loads
 Login/Join

posted
I used Hornady +p brass, Winchester Silver tip 115 gr bullet topping off 7.0 grains of vihtavouri 3n37. SP primers. C.O.L. was 1.142". Average velocity ran 1360 FPS. Energy calculates to 460 Ft-Lbs (approx) The load was very accurate (hold 4" at 25 yards offhand) from my Ruger KP89.

One of Us
Picture of KLN357
posted Hide Post
3N37 is one of the very best for 9mm. You get very good load density as well. I have just started using Ramshot True Blue which is very much like 3N37, but denser and even flashes slightly less. The first loads I tried were the best I have ever seen for a first loading with any pistol powder. Started getting dark on us before we could wring it out, but we did get a good view of muzzle flash which was only about the size of a baseball and nearly as round. The loads were fired from a SIG P-226 that has fired many groups under 1" at 50'. I already know without hardly any testing that this powder will take it down to 1/2" groups when the right load combination is found. We were using the Rem. 124 gr. JHP bulk bullet. Winchester cases, CCI-500 primers and 6.5 grs. (older data not in the current Ramshot load guide) of True Blue at the same OAL that VV recommends and I favor at 1.142".

This powder will load a number of cartridges exceptionally. I am also using it for +P 185 gr. JHP loads with the Rem. standard JHP as well as the Golden Saber. Results have been far better than the Rem. factory load and velocity is identical. It will load magnum revolver rounds to Magnum factory velocity with a little room to spare in the pressure department. This is becoming the powder for me that others have used Unique for in the past, with the exception that it is a very dense ball powder that meters like hourglass sand and will generate higher velocity with lower pressure than Unique could come close to. Burn Rate is in the 3N37, 800-X and AA#7 range. Wink

"No one told you when to run; you missed the starting gun."

Posts: 483 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote