New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking for .338 win mag loads
 Login/Join

<jager22>
posted
just wondering if anyone had some good .338 recipes to share........

<BigBores>
posted
Jager,

Welcome to the forum! If you do a search for 338, you'll probably come up with quite a few favourite loads. The upper right corner of your screen has a search feature. Great round, I've had mine for 6-7 years now.

<sure-shot>
posted
Nosler 210 Partition, RL-19 has served me and a host of others very well. sure-shot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jager: I have tried a LOT of stuff in my .338 Win Mag rifles over the years and the caliber is not at all hard to load for.
I will list a few of the standout loads that I have tried.

For deer, wild hogs, black bear, etc. I have come to like the 200 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded over 74.5 grains of IMR 4831 in a Remington case and with a Fed 215M primer. This load gives just over 3000 fps from my Remington 700 Classic and has proven quite deadly on wild hogs this summer.

For all around use and the load I am taking to New Mexico next month for an elk hunt, I turn to the 225 Nosler Partition. When loaded in WW cases, using the same Fed 215M primer, and 71 grains of H 4350, I get 2850 fps and TINY groups on the target. This week I shot a three shot group at 100 yards with this load that a dime covers up real easily. I wound up putting one of these bullets into the back of a wild hog's head as he tried to chomp on my leg this summer (he was sort of pissed off). The bullet killed him instantly and traveled on down his neck and into the shoulder. I do not know just where the meat cutters found it, but they saved it for me, it weight 178 grains, that is 79% weight retention.

A bullet I used to use for everything is the Sierra 250 grain boat tail. I can say that it never failed me in any way, I just started playing with the Nosler bullets and have sort of gravitated to them for now. I have shot deer, elk, and hogs with the 250 Sierra, some from some long distances with the .338 Win Mag. My all time favorite load for the 250 Sierra was put up in WW cases using CCI 250 primers and 70 grains of IMR 4350. Another great load for this bullet is 72 grains of Reloder 19 using the Federal 210 primer in WW cases. Both these loads give around 2770 fps and good accuracy.

Pay attention to primer choices here! Use of the Fed215M primer with IMR 4350 has always given me high pressure signs, I recommend the CCI 250 with this powder!!!

And per the powder makers recommendation, use standard primers when loading Reloder 19. I did tests with three brands of primers and in all cases I got better accuracy and more uniform velocities with RL 19 when using standard large rifle primers, even in the .338 Win Mag case.

Hope this is of some help to you. R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found this to be one of the most aggreeable cartridges to handload. My current favorite load follows.

Wby(norma) brass
73.5 grs. Rl 19
Fed 210
230 gr failsafe

Avg velocity 2760 fps
In my rifle this load does exhibits no high pressure signs and shoots consistent 1.25" groups.

David Schanbel

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
76.0 grains H4831 behind Sieera 250 grains SPBT.

2841 fps.

HOT HOT HOT!

Start at 65 grains and work up.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
70.5 imr 4831 sierra 250 gr spitzer bt oal of 3.340. i use winchester cases and winchester primers . in my rem 700 this load shoots under 1" groups of 5 at 100 yrds

------------------
knowledge is power and you never have enough knowledge

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All in WW Cases:

200 gr Hornady or Speer
76 gr of Rel 19
CCI 200 Primers

200 gr Barnes X
74 gr Rel 19
Fed 210 BR Primers

225 gr Hornady
73 gr Rel 19 or 70 gr IMR 4350
CCI 250 Primers

250 gr Hornady
70 gr Rel 22
CCI 250

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
hornady 225 grain sp bullets 2 good loads/i used to load 69 grains of imr4350 . now i use 74.0 of H4831. I use this in a browning BAR

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last summer I bought some 250 grain Sierra BT bullets for my 338 win mag. I worked up a load that had a muzzle velocity of about 2700 and would shoot � inch groups. I normally use hornady�s but because these shot so well I thought I would try them this year. This last weekend I decided to take a break from elk hunting and look for a deer. I found a nice fat 4X4 mule deer and decided to take him. The shot was a quartering away shot at about 175 yards. I aimed for the off shoulder and touched one off. At the shot the deer wobbled off for about 40 yards and went down. When field dressing the deer I noticed a large amount of damage to most of the internal organs. I also noticed no exit wound. When I got home and skinned the deer I found the bullet between the body cavity and the off shoulder. The bullet was perfectly mushroomed but did not even break the off shoulder. Even though the bullet mushroomed and killed the deer very well I was very disappointed in the total penetration. I would have expected complete penetration from any angle with a 250 grain bullet from a 338. I have to seriously question if these bullets are a good choice for elk. Most elk that I have shot with hornady, barnes, or noslers have had complete penetration. Has anybody else here noticed a lack of penetration with this bullet?

Posts: 503 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fed 215M primer
72.0 grs. IMR4831
225gr. Partition
Winchester Brass
Velocity: Don't know, but it is max in my rifle and is accurate.

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Like 500's load same powder charge 76 grains
in Win brass federal 215 with a 250 Speer Grand Slam on top. Drop 10 percent and work up I have a Win mod 70 out of the box by the way in most of my intense calibers I only use my brass for 6 loadings then its to the brass heep with it

Posts: 10 | Location: Keithville Louisiana | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Dale>
posted
I shot a couple of elk and some deer with the 225 gr. Nosler partition with good results, but finally settled on the 250 gr. Partition. In my rifle, I can get the same velocity with the 250 gr. as with the 225, so I use the heavier bullet. My favorite load is W-W case, Fed. 215 primer, and 74.0 grs. of RL-22. Velocity is right at 2700 fps. That 250 gr. Nosler really gets an elks attention - so far the three I used it on all dropped in their tracks.